Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Species ID help

Doomus

Reaction score
I'm thinking fuzhongensis or hongkongensis? Any help would be appreciated :D

8b161a6eca9b327747c63084eb4e262c.jpg

1c3acfafddf1b119772d102222ce153f.jpg

87a1bdec058f61ae3e4fd4bdd17cba97.jpg

3adc544ac06a0143641b99f9f2877959.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd say Paramesotriton hongkongensis but that's a guess based purely on the it's prevalence in the pet trade, the size of warts and possibly the length of tail, although it's not easy to see in the photos. There's lots of variability and similarities across a number of Paramesotriton species, added to which some have been further sub divided into new species in recent years.

sde

Reaction score
According to a Paramesotriton species ID guide in the book "Salamanders keeping and breeding" by F. Pasmans, S. Bogaerts, H. Janssen, and M. Sparreboom, my guess would be they are P. chinensis. Hard to say for sure, though.

velasco13000

Reaction score
I have both chinensis and honkonensis.. They have way too many warts to be honkonensis. Also honkonensis have visible ridges on their bodies. These guys don't really look like honkonensis much. One thing that is a bit different are the back patterns. My chinensis don't have those patters so I'm not sure about that.

Niels D

Reaction score
The lack of warts, the light coloured skin with some black dorsal spots, the way the end of the tail is coloured black and it's body shape make me tend to P.chinensis as well.

cichlidjedi

Reaction score
It's definitely P. chinensis. There all over US pet stores right now shipping into fish distribution as rough back newts.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!