Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Should I give my mother a newt?

Kittycampbell13

Reaction score
Does she like animals like newts? Has she had any experience caring for them in the past? I know my mother would be appalled if I presented her with one. Shes more of a bird person. ;)

MnGuy

Reaction score
Newts are cute little animals that can be rewarding to care for without the complications of some pets, although of course they come with their own demands and challenges.

I think they tend to win people over with their little faces and curious personalities. And looking after a pet can be a big boost to someone's quality of life, happiness, etc.

Things to ask yourself are: Is your mother the type of person who appreciates these qualities? Is she capable of doing regular water changes? Does she have access to newt food?

It's great that you're thinking of your mother's well-being. Good luck!

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If she has had fish in the past and is OK maintaining a tank, I think it's great! THey can be so much more fun and interactive than fish!
Maybe ask her if she'd like a fish tank and promise her a surprise special amazing fish and then surprise her with a newt! Isn't an axolotl called a "mexican walking fish" sometimes? hee hee

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1