Huge chunk of axolotls dorsal fin has gone missing! No tank mates! *PICTURES*

debadog

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I woke up this morning to discover with horror that a huge chunk of my axolotls dorsal fin has disappeared, it almost looks like its rotted away :( There is a small piece of skin still hanging from it. I have no idea what could have done this, or whether its a physical wound or some sort of disease!

The only thing I can think of is that he had a tiny burst blood vessel at the top of his tail for a while now in which I think was the same section which has now disintegrated, could this have any relation?

He is eating fine and walking about though his gills are curled like he's pissed off. The wound looks clean to me.

Any ideas what this could be? :confused:

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20190824_080251.jpg
    20190824_080251.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 721
  • 20190824_080338.jpg
    20190824_080338.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 251
  • 20190824_080350.jpg
    20190824_080350.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 334
Is there a tank decoration that might have a sharp edge that you didn't notice? Maybe on the inside?

Is there a tank decoration that might have a sharp edge that you didn't notice? Maybe on the inside?

He already lost (and regrew) an eye due to a suspected ornament injury, so the only thing in there besides plants is a large mangrove tree root-style ornament which definitely doesn't have sharp edges. However, he does squeeze himself through the gaps in the roots and I suppose if he spooked himself he could have maybe caught his tail on something? It would be unlikely but do you think it looks like a physical injury/doesn't seem likely to be anything else?

Thanks for replying!

It does look like a physical injury. Keep your eye on it and the water clean. I don't have any decorations my newts can "almost" get through, because without fail, they will get stuck in it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back