Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Axolotl changed colour WTF?

Feenix

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm a new member and have 2 female axolotyls (sisters) that I have had since they were tiny. One a Dirty Lucy the other a wild type. They are over 2 years old now and a couple of months ago, the wild type developed pale patches. I tubbed her, thinking it may be fungal but she didn't seem to be getting better. Then I had to leave the country for 3 weeks and left her in the care of my partner. When I got home there were 2 dirty Lucies in the tank and my partner told me one was Lila (the wild type). I was and am dumbfounded. She seems fine and is eating etc but a month and a half later shows no sign of returning to her former dark colour. What the hell is going on, does anyone know? The photo with her in the tub shows curled gills and was at the beginning when I 1st tubbed her, the white one in the tank is her now!

Attachments

• IMG_20190822_230944.jpg
    IMG_20190822_230944.jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 1,677
  • IMG_20190618_200322.jpg
    IMG_20190618_200322.jpg
    736.8 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_20190614_120333.jpg
    IMG_20190614_120333.jpg
    635 KB · Views: 319

Tye

Reaction score
Ok, this post has been on my mind for the past three days.
I don't think this is possible. The genetics for wild types and leucistics are completely different. I don't think a wild type can become a leucistic. I know colors can shift, but I'm not sure if they can shift this dramatically.
Can anyone else with more knowledge in axolotl colors and genetics chime in?
Has this happened to anyone else?

Because the only other thing I can think of is... are you sure your partner didn't buy a replacement axolotl while you were away? Granted, I know finding an adult of the same sex and size is pretty impressive and probably not likely, it's all I could think of...

Neil C

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen. I emigrated and gave my axolotls to some friends. When I returned for a visit several years later one of my wildtypes had become white. It wasn't as beautiful as yours but it was certainly not a wildtype anymore. My friends said that it had gradually become white over time much like an old person gets grey hairs. I've no reason not to believe them and as axolotl weren't easy to find where I lived I have no reason to believe that the wildtype died and was replaced by a leucisitic. Very strange.

Regards Neil

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I've seen cases where dark axolotls have loss pigment, kind of like vitiligo. If you do a forum search on here you should be able to find some :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1