Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I don’t know what’s wrong with her! Help!

AG9

Reaction score
I have two axolotls. A male and a female. After the last time the female layed eggs, she hasn’t been okay. She can’t swallow her food right and is pooping a slime like goo and sometimes green chunks. She is losing weight because she can’t eat right. I thought she was on the mend because she was getting an appetite again, but now when she eats she gets kind of discolored and pale on her underside and bloats. She floats a lot and seems much more overactive like something is uncomfortable. Could it be an impaction? There is nothing I can think of she could’ve swallowed. Should I fridge her? I called a vet in case. Also, I have some nematodes in my tank. They have been less populous since I cleaned better, but I’m worried what if it’s parasites? The water parameters are fine and her tank may e(they are now in a divided tank to prevent breeding) is perfectly fine. I’m so confused!

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Post some pictures and/or videos if you can. Did you get to talk to a vet, or are they going to contact you? The little tank bugs are usually fine but if you have a camera with a good zoom see if you can get a pic of them. What are the water parameters and temperature?

AG9

Reaction score
I just did some tests and my nitrates are pretty high so I threw away the old sand. I’ll try to see if I can get a photo of the little buggies

Hayleyy

Reaction score
How high were the nitrates? And ammonia/nitrites were 0?
Once there are photos it should help a lot :)
If you removed the sand make sure to test the water every day or so. It would remove a lot of beneficial bacteria so you might get a cycle crash.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!