Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

"Russian" Fire Salamanders

Blackbun

Reaction score
Manderkeeper did you manage to track down a locality for these animals?
Annka I would be very interested in hearing any information about the Ukrainian salamanders.
Thank you.

manderkeeper

Reaction score
I don't know exactly where they were collected, they were exported to USA then sent to a dealer from which I got them, so too far removed. I still have a few pairs but I am banned from shipping them outside my state at the moment.

Blackbun

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply manderkeeper. Would it be possible to see a couple of pictures of them as I'm keen to compare them with mine?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a heads up manderkeeper - the interstate ban is no longer valid.

Salamandra s. salamandra was exported in large numbers for many years from the Ukraine. I believe it was Professor Kuzmin on Caudata who first mentioned the real source but I may be remembering who it was incorrectly. But Ukraine was (is?) the main source of Salamandra s. salamandra in the USA. I actually have an adult pair that were CB offspring of such animals. I would imagine that many US people blurred Ukraine with Russia, hence the Russian thing.

ntny

Reaction score
hi folks,
need some advice
i saw some beautiful S.s.s , may i know if it is possible to keep S.s.s at 22C?
because i am using a aquarium chiller to cool down a steel pot of water in the enclosure
to cool down to 22C my chiller needs to set at 18C as air temp always seems a little higher than water temp.
of course i can lower the chiller to 16C to get 20C air temp but it means my chiller needs to work very hard and kick in every 15 mins or so which is bad for the chiller and also at 16C my chiller pipes starts to get a lot of water condensation bad for my house.

Thanks and cheers!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!