Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

FYI: Lots and Lots of Axolotl Eggs! :)

mistylynn2007

Reaction score
I recently introduced my Golden Albino female to my adult tank of a Wild-type female and a Melanoid (black) male. Two days later, my albino laid her first set of eggs and two days after that my other female followed suit. That brings us up to today. Said second female, Axol is her name, is still finishing up the laying process, and it is looking like we'll have over 500 total.

Last edited by a moderator:

mistylynn2007

Reaction score
We are willing to sell to anyone who would like to try their hand at raising them, but otherwise we will have our hands full raising as many as possible. We will resell them to individuals and/or to the pet store we bought the parents from.

melfly

Reaction score
I would definitely have a think about this.
You should decide on an exact number to raise and either give away the rest, place back in the tank or dispose of the eggs.

This may sound a little cruel but I know how hard it is to raise babies, I have been raising for about 3 years. The most i've raised in one go is 90 and it was not fun and I will never ever attempt that number again.
The water changes and feeding becomes a very lengthy chore. I hatch my own brine shrimp and that in itself was taking time and lots of energy.

They start nipping each other and have to be split up. They grow at different rates and also need to be split up. tubs tubs and more tubs meaning more and more water changes.

I would stick to a smaller more managable number. I find 30 is just enough.

Otherwise your whole house will be full of tubs!

Mel

michel3171

Reaction score
It is always hard to ''have less pets than you had first (deleting pets, I don't know how to make this sound not as harsh)'', but you can't raise 500 Axies!!!

Sell to your friends, the pet shop, internet, and what is left, you can raise. If there is more then 50, you should start putting away the left over ones :(
Again, I don't know how to make this sound ''Ok''

esn

Reaction score
If the axolotls are young they won't all survive. Personally, my axies laid for the first time last winter. Over 500 eggs. None of them made it. Might have been because I had to move them from my home, but less than 30 hatched. The ones that did died very quickly. I got spinners. You probably won't have the same luck, but know that they won't all make it.

I have no comment on how many you should raise for a first time. If you feel prepared and have time, go for it. I personally don't find that it takes that long to change water and feed, but everyone has different ideas. Pretty much all I do at home when not working or going to school is take care of animals. It's my life.

melfly

Reaction score
If the axolotls are young they won't all survive. Personally, my axies laid for the first time last winter. Over 500 eggs. None of them made it. Might have been because I had to move them from my home, but less than 30 hatched. The ones that did died very quickly. I got spinners. You probably won't have the same luck, but know that they won't all make it.

I have no comment on how many you should raise for a first time. If you feel prepared and have time, go for it. I personally don't find that it takes that long to change water and feed, but everyone has different ideas. Pretty much all I do at home when not working or going to school is take care of animals. It's my life.

My axolotl survival rate (not from a first spawn) is usually around 90% at the very minimum. I dont know if thats good genetics or good rearing but almost all of mine survive.

Changing the water on 90 axolotls takes ages. especially if they are in 30+ different tubs.......which they need to be in to avoid 'accidents' and to give them a resonable quality of life.

I've raised hundreds but never all at once.

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1