Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Finally in the water!

Essad96

Reaction score
I own 7 cbf efts, 6 of which are finally in the water swimming. The one that hadn't let go of the land area likes to submerge its lower half in the water, and the upper half above. Two appear to be completely aquatic, always in the water, while the rest like to loaf or sleep on a partially submerged log in the tank. I cannot believe how happy I am right now, months of daily hand feeding patiently waiting for the efts to eat have finally paid off! Now that theyre in the water, theres no need for any hand feeding as they can smell the food underwater. The fact that theyre fatter than theyve ever been makes me so happy! FCB's might be the poster boys of the caudist's hobby, but raising them from eggs is so notorioualy difficult :'( Sorry for the long post, I'm just so happy I felt like writing something, anything!

stanleyc

Reaction score
Congrats, it will be much easier feeding them now that they are aquatic. They'll be a bit more active too. Next time raising them you can even try doing it fully aquatic and skipping the terrestrial stage. Check out these threads:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...275-raising-metamorphs-aquatic-new-way-p.html

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...9-cynops-orientalis-2011-mass-production.html

I've raised H. orientalis and H. cyanurus this way with great success, much easier to feed, and they grow faster as well. Most important thing is probably keeping enough plants in there.

Essad96

Reaction score
I did NOT know that o_O I wish I had known it was possible sooner :'( I was too scared they might drown if I raised them aquatically, or they might get too stressed and refuse to eat. I'm so glad to hear that raising them this way makes them grow faster.

Essad96

Reaction score
Oh my lord it actually works.. I'm so upset I haven't known about this sooner XD. I got my hands on 6 more, and I tried this method. Needless to say, it worked like a charm! I can't believe they learned to swim and stay in the water that fast, just one week. I tried feeding them in the water too, chopped up some ANC's and put them in = immediately eaten by all of them. Noticed that 2 specifically were eating the most at first, by the end of the week they outgrew the rest.. Wow, I love this hobby so much♡

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!