Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A Newbie on Cynops Orientalis

K

kai

Hi Amidala,

It's unlikely that you'll get whiteworms in Singapore - they need cooler temperatures and won't be cultured in SE Asia (AFAIK). However, you should have no problems to get live bloodworms (chironomid larvae) which are certainly much better than frozen food. There's also a giant bloodworm species which is especially good for feeding terrestrial newts.

Apparently your small male currently prefers a terrestrial life style - you could put it in a plastic box with a moist (not wet!) paper towel (unbleached/brownish brand) and some hiding places. Try feeding with those giant bloodworms by just placing them on the paper towel and placing the box somewhere where there is only a little light. The next day you can check how much was eaten (& change the paper towel if necessary) but try to keep disturbance at a minimum. Once it started eating well, you can place the bloodworms (both varieties) in a very small dish (e.g. lid from some glass can) with a little water - this avoids spoiling the paper towel very fast. After it got back to normal weight you can try again to introduce it back to the aquatic setup (works better with cool temperatures).

C

chris

Would I do better with pyrrhogaster or orientalis?
My tank is indoors.
Chris

A

amidala

Hi kai,
Thanks for your ideas. Hermit (we named him as such due to his fondness for hiding in cracks in the driftwood) is still as immobile as ever, but we've found a way to let him eat more than the usual - since he always takes the first mouthful of bloodworms we place at his nose, we tried dangling a huge wad of worms so that he gets a LARGE mouthful - which he slowly gulps down eventually.

We figured that as long as he keeps eating each time we feed them, he should do okay. I just wish he would be a little more "sociable" and go splash in the water with the rest!
wacko.gif

Just wondering, folks - sorry if it's a silly question - but do newts have teeth? I ask this because I've seen them "bite" at each other, sometimes the larger ones will snap at a smaller newt's head! But apparently not much harm done. It seems that they're doing it in jest or just a warning for the offending newt to back off!

R

rob

Hey Amidala,

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong guys) that they have very tiny cartalidge teeth that probably won't cause much damage to each other.

Hey Chris,

Pyrrhogaster is alot hardier then orientalis...I'd go with those...more room for error.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1