The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

Old 1st May 2012   #1
virago

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: virago has started on the right path
Default Hatchling Eats Sand

I can see some white sand in their bellies. Hope they pass it through digestion. I start them on brine shrimp tomorrow. Can you tell me if sand is a problem for hatchlings?

virago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012   #2
Garrett
(Mycenaean)

Nationality:
Rep: Mycenaean has shown reliable knowledgeMycenaean has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Hatchling Eats Sand

It should pass through fine. I don't like having my hatchlings in sand because brine shrimp are small and would just litter the bottom and alter the pH and salinity. It's much easier to have a bare bottom tank, at least until you can move them on to bloodworms.

Mycenaean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012   #3
virago

Nationality:

Do you think I should move them into tubs and then remove the white sand and then put them back? I thought about doing this but worried about the stress.

Old 1st May 2012   #4
Garrett
(Mycenaean)

Nationality:
Rep: Mycenaean has shown reliable knowledgeMycenaean has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by virago View Post
Do you think I should move them into tubs and then remove the white sand and then put them back? I thought about doing this but worried about the stress.
I personally would, but that's just my preference. You could use a container to scoop them up. If they are small enough you can use a straw (hold the straw top, dip in water near axolotl from behind release top of straw to sunction and then hold the top and transfer). If you're quick they'll be back to lounging stress-free in no time!

Mycenaean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012   #5
Jenste

Nationality:
Rep: Jenste has given consistently good advice and informationJenste has given consistently good advice and informationJenste has given consistently good advice and informationJenste has given consistently good advice and information

For axoltols under 4-6 inches, it is recommended to keep them in bare tanks because they are little hoovers and will suck up anything around them.

Old 1st May 2012   #6
Michel
(michel3171)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: michel3171 has started on the right path

If youre Axolotls are still small, just use little big stones. If you make 2-3 islands, you can feed them between the islands, and the islands give nice decoration. This is how I made my tank. On the islands I placed some plants. I blocked my filter, so that it only spits water out into the air, so that there is not too much movement in the water.

michel3171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012   #7
virago

Nationality:

Thanks everybody. I moved them into a tub and fed them brine shrimp. I can see them moving the sand through and expelling it. I'm cleaning their tank of the sand and restarting it. I use a bubble disc secured with a suction cup. The over the side filter has cheesecloth around intake holes and fake plants to disrupt water flow. It will be bare glass until they are a bit older/bigger.