The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 23rd February 2014   #1
Michael
(mikeg)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 4
Rep: mikeg has shown reliable knowledgemikeg has shown reliable knowledge
Default Fungus On Axolotls Eye~ Blind Or Will Regenerate?

Hey guys so yesterday i noticed one of my Axolotls had fungus on his eye; saw the "cotton". I gave him a salt bath and it seems to be gone though i will do a couple more salt baths to be 100% sure. Will this cause him to lose his eye sight? if so do axies regenerate eye sight or is it an unfortunate body part.

Old 23rd February 2014   #2
Boomsloth
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Boomsloth has given good advice and informationBoomsloth has given good advice and informationBoomsloth has given good advice and information
Default Re: Fungus On Axolotls Eye~ Blind Or Will Regenerate?

There is a chance it will heal fully but it might take a long time considering how complex an eye is. Normally feet can take a month or two and gills longer than that so my guess is at least 3 months

Boomsloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014   #3
Elise
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: Elise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgElise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgElise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgElise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgElise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

It was always my understanding that severely damaged eyes do not regenerate well, with the lens not being able to regenerate at all in most cases.

https://www.scienceopen.com/document...0-adaa2352547a

Elise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014   #4
Boomsloth
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Boomsloth has given good advice and informationBoomsloth has given good advice and informationBoomsloth has given good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise View Post
It was always my understanding that severely damaged eyes do not regenerate well, with the lens not being able to regenerate at all in most cases.

https://www.scienceopen.com/document...0-adaa2352547a
I think OPs might not be severely damaged since the fungus would only have grown on the outermost part. Idk how badly infected it was though but it still might grow back. There is no real way of knowing if your axolotl went blind though, they rely a lot on their sense of smell.

Boomsloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014   #5
Michael
(mikeg)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 4
Rep: mikeg has shown reliable knowledgemikeg has shown reliable knowledge

The infection was very minor. I just happen to notice it with the way the Axolotl was positioned and the light, if it wasn't for that i wouldn't have noticed until it got worse later on. I know the eye is extremely complex which is why i was worried it wouldn`t regenerate. Like you said the Axolotl rely on other things like smell to find their food; does anyone have a good way to test if the eye was damaged?