Broken Leg/Hand? Is that even possible?

greensocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Katie
I have two 2 yearsoldish leucistic Axolotls which are brothers.. Lexus and Logan.
Over the past 4 weeks or so, unbeknown to me how (as they both eat the same amount and surely share the same genetic make-up?) Lexus has bulked up, his head and body is wider and his mouth is too! He's started nipping at Logan which i initially presumed was just play fighting..but the day before yesterday i caught Lexus with Logans whole front left arm in his mouth. I pulled him off and ever since Logan's arm has been really limp and his hand is bent the wrong way. He has movement of the joint/muscle? at the top of his arm where it's attatched to the body, but it seems no other control over the arm. It's swollen and is patchy red like a rash. He's stopped eating and lies incredibly motionless in his hide, his gills have shrunk and he doesn't want to move at all. I have no idea what to do!
Amputate and let a new limb grow? Fridge? Salt bath? I don't know! :(:(:(
I haven't slept properly and it's hearbreaking to watch!

Kate + Logan x

Last edited by a moderator:
THANKYOU! what's the setup for 'fridging' ? and how long will i have to leave him in there? and where do i find an axolotl vet?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back