Illness/Sickness: Limb bitten off

DavidF

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Sometime today 29 April Swishy bit Honk's leg off around the knee joint. I didn't notice it missing prior to dinner time or when he was sniffing out his pellets and suspect it only just happened but not entirely sure.

There is about 1cm of leg remaining. I can't quite tell if the amputation is on the knee joint or maybe a couple of mm below it. It looks like a clean ish cut from what I can tell and if that is possible.

A photo is attached.

I checked my water chemistry last night and all was fine (ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrate 5, pH 7.4) Water temp is 18 deg C with a chiller set on 17 deg C. 3ft 160 litre tank.

Honk and Swishy are golden albino siblings about 7 months old and 16cm. I've had them for about 2 months.

What do I need to do?

Monitor for now?

Treat immediately?

Fridge?

Thanks for the help. Treat any explanations like I'm an idiot because this is all new to me as I've never had to do anything other than house and feed my axies before.

Regards
Dave

Attachments

• Honk-foot.jpg
    Honk-foot.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 402
Hi,

I know it's scary to see for the first time! Just keep an eye on the affected area to ensure that it doesn't develop a fungus but it should grow back in a couple of weeks.

You shouldn't have to do anything but keep an eye out for any continued aggression and if present, perhaps consider a tank divider until they get a little larger or try adding more visual barriers. Feeding them at opposite ends of the tank (if you're not already) can help avoid this problem too.

Thanks for all the info too, very helpful! Take care!

Hi Dave,

If the wound is clean and there is no sign of fungus, then treatment is not necessary. Salt baths (used to treat fungus) can irritate an open wound and this will further stress the axolotl. The wound should heal and regenerate in time as long as the water is kept cool and stays clean (your water chemistry is very good and the fact that you have a chiller should help the healing process too).

If the tank is kept in a busy part of the house, covering the tank (or half the tank) with a towel will provide the axolotl somewhere dark and peaceful to retreat to, which will further help him destress after such a shock.

I would monitor the wound each day and keep an eye out for fungal infection. Fungus appears as a white cottony substance.

Accidents like this are pretty common with axolotls, as they tend to snap at anything that moves or startles them, which includes tankmates. A three foot tank is a great size for two axolotls, so I don't think lack of space was the issue, it was probably simply an accident. If Swishy becomes 'aggressive' towards Honk though, then you may need to consider housing them seperately, or using a tank divider.

Above all, please keep us posted!

Last edited:
Update

I'm pretty sure after studying Honk when he gets close to the glass walls of the aquarium that the amputation was about 1-2mm below the knee joint.

The wound still looks clean.

He has definitely slowed up somewhat and the towel hanging over half of the aquarium has made them more peaceful while Honk rests. That was a great suggestion.

Tonight is feeding time so we'll see how they go.

I've got a separate question re feeding two axies in the one tank but I'll post another thread.

There are a few more photos on the blog - close ups - warning a bit gruesome but not as bad as other photos I've seen on this forum.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/blogs/davidf/624-swishy-bites-honks-leg-off.html

Off topic and I apologize... but I'd really like to see these pics as I'm trying to learn all that I can... why when I click the link do I get:
Mac Myers, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
  3. If you are a normal registered user trying to post to the advertisement section of the forum you must have a 5 post minimum to receive permission to post here. Be aware that spamming 5 posts will not give you instant access to this section so please don't try that.

I'm not sure the answer to yuor question.

To see the photos though, if you click on DavidF on the left on any message then you should get to my profile and hopefully cansee my albums posted.

I hope that helps.
David

Hi David,

you seem to have set your blog to "private" viewing only :D, this means that only admin/moderators and those on your friends/contacts list can read it and access the attached photos.

To make the blog (and attached pictures) viewable to all members of the forum, you need to edit the settings of the blog:

Open the blog entry
Click on the "edit blog entry" link (pencil icon bottom right corner of blog)
Click on "Go Advanced" button
Scroll down to the Options menu; simply uncheck the applicable boxs
Click "Save Changes".

Thanks for that. I had no idea. What a stuff up!!

I checked my blog settings and I needed to tick the boxes to allow members to view and leave comments. I hope it now works. Can someone let me know if they can see it please.

Cheers
Dave

hi david
i can see it now where i couldnt before......i hope honks leg is getting better..
lea

Honk seems ok. Not great but ok. Honk is much weaker at finding his food than Swishy who is a big bully. Swishy sweeps with his head much faster and progresses his searches faster than Honk and is a greedy one. And when they meet during a hunt, Swishy is usually first to snap at Honk to ward him off.

I've started a Red Cherry Shrimp tank to breed them for the axies but they are kind of cool themselves. Anyway, I had some guppies in that tank, some mountain minnows and babies and I reckon they ate some of the shrimp so I put the fish with the axies last night. I only bought the guppies to help cycle and for axie treats. So this morning, I awake to find Swishy with a bulging belly and a one of my big female guppies missing. Any thoughts on where she went? Typical Swishy, the greedy pig.

I might make a separate thread of this issue but why can the axie get a massive guppy down but struggle with a worm. Although a bit longer, I would think a worm is much less to fit in their mouths than a guppy. I find my axies often spit out the worms and try again and agina and sometimes leave them and get them later.

I apologize if I missed this earlier :eek:... but how big is the tank. Beautiful animal even with the missing limb. Thanks for the pictures.

3ft 160 litre tank.

The preference of guppies over worms could be based on taste. I have heard that worms can produce a foul taste that some axies do not like, although I have not personally tested this theory. And I do love seafood, so I could understand why fish would be the more delicious option.

As for the aggression, you could look into a tank divider, it's the only was to assure your axies do not continue the habit of nipping.

Update: 29 June

Today I notice that Honk has at least 3 little toes. Boy did they spring out suddenly on me. I need to pay closer attention. I'll try to get a photo of the developing leg.

So it has taken 2 months for the leg to mostly grow back. Maybe another month to fill out properly.

Cheers
Dave

PS. Honk belongs to Max, my almost 5 yo son. Max has decided that Honk is now to be known as "Clown Town", named after a play centre we visit sometimes. I tried to suggest that you just can't change a pet's name and perhaps I should change Max's name to John but he was most upset at that suggestion but at the same time adamant that Honk is now Clown Town. Kids and logic!!

Sorry, David, but I'm with Max on this one ;). I think "Clown Town" is an excellent name for an axolotl. Clown Town won't come when called anyway, so I have a feeling he will adjust to his new name in no time flat.

Thanks for the update on Honk/Clown Town, it sounds like the limb is growing back nicely.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back