Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is my Tiger Salamander larvae morphing?

Jackulwulf

Reaction score
Haven't heard from you in a while, I hope your little ones are doing well ^.^ have you changed your non morph to the larger tank yet? Did it start to calm down some?

Nute

Reaction score
I was going to swap the tanks yesterday(my day off), but it seems that my morphed tiger has gone into hibernation. Isn't it too early? It did get cold here the other day, and she is awfully fat(especially her tail). What do you think?

Also, my non morph is still growing and is still as active as ever. I dont think it will be morphing. We shall see. It's gills are 2 inches long, and it is over 10 inches long itself! mabey I can get up some more pics later. Let me know what you think about the whole hibernation situation tho. Thanks. Nute

Jackulwulf

Reaction score
Wow, sorry about taking so long to reply ^.^;; I didn't mean to drop off the planet there..but I've been preoccupied with my new crested gecko and learning all about their care and such. Kinda too late to really offer any advice on the hibernation I'm thinking, but my tiger has never hibernated. He's always been active in the winter time and shows no real decrease in appetite either. But then I don't have a real change in temperature here in the basement either. I stays pretty level, perhaps getting a bit cooler in the winter but not much since the basement is cooler all year around. But I guess it is possible that the slight cooler temps might cause her to hide more and possibly stimulate hibernation behavior. I actually was talking with another tiger owner a few weeks ago or so that was having a similar situation. Her tiger was showing decreased activity and possible hibernation.

Also since I'm living here in Canada, I'm not familiar with the climate where you are so I couldn't tell you if hibernating around October is early or not, here where I am it would depend on the temps. Sometimes October here can be really cold and have snow on the ground so it wouldn't necessarily be too early here.

As for your non morph, perhaps you are right on that, it may decide not to morph. Or it will overwinter in its larval state and decide to morph in the springtime. In any case I heard that a neotenic tiger larva can morph at anytime, I think even after spending years in the larval state, unlike the axolotls so it may surprise you one day and morph on you.

I guess let me know how your little ones are doing, I wouldn't mind hearing an update on how things are now that its December lol. I'll be sure to keep an eye on the forums instead of disappearing for months ^.^;;

ketchupguy37

Reaction score
Do you have any updates for us? I just read this whole post from beginning to end and it is a wonderful story, they should make a movie out of it :D

I would really love to know how your babies are doing. I am thinking about getting some of my own and really appreciate all the help that you have given me by posting so much on here.

Nute

Reaction score
My morphed male is finally in his 20 gallon tank, and all is well. I'll post some pics of the new inclosure tonight. I'm glad you've enjoyed the thread. :)

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Jackulwulf

Reaction score
Great to hear that everything is going and I'm sure your tiger is loving all the extra space of a 20 gallon tank. I can't wait to see some more pictures.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!