Question: Separating a Tank for larvae

Skunk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I've had my beautiful axolotls for about two years now. Recently moved them into a smaller tank while I was moving and they laid eggs for the first time! Both are very healthy, eating well, very active, etc.

The eggs have now hatched into a 20ltr tank and I'm considering my next move. They're eating well on bbs and I'm sourcing some live daphnia tomorrow. I'm feeling like I should have culled at least 1/2 of the eggs at the start, but they've hatched now so I've got to do my best!

I have a large 6ft tank which is currently empty. I have the filter cycling at the moment in another tank, so I'm seriously considering using it to rear the larvae.

What I'd like to do is separate the tank into sections so I can minimise cannibalism,etc What do you think the best way to do this would be? I've seen the separators like this....
tankdividerpennplax_3.jpg

Also, any advice on water levels, substrate, plants, etc for growing axies? I already have a few aquatic outlets that are happy to take them, and more importantly that I'm happy to give my little axies to! What age would be good do you think?

Thanks a lot!

If you are going to be feeding baby brine shrimp there is no reason to cycle your tank as you will be doing daily water changes. I would leave the tank bare till you get them onto frozen foods and then put them in a cycled tank, with hides, plants and visual barriers. To prevent cannibalism you would have to separate them individually or by size and as you have said yourself that you have too many a little fratricide will solve part of your problem.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back