Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Japanese/chinese fire newt cross breeding

J

jennifer

The male is C. pyrrhogaster with 100% certainty. He's in very nice breeding dress. The female certainly looks like orientalis, but I would not assign absolute certainty. C. p. Kanto look similar to orientalis. However, the odds are very high that it's indeed orientalis, not Kanto.

Thanks for posting the photos, and keep us posted on any "developments". Does the male actively court the female?

TJ

Reaction score
Very interesting, Michael. I'd like to see more pictures of the female, which also looks to me to be C. orientalis (the male is definitely C. pyrrhogaster).

I wouldn't separate them for any reasons other than as a matter of principle. Realistically, the chances of their offspring making it to adulthood to begin are minimal. In my reckoning (somebody correct me if I'm wrong), there are very few people who have managed this with these species, which is why one only ever sees WC of either on the market. And assuming they <u>were</u> successfully raised to adulthood, the chances of them finding their way from where you are back into the wild in either China or Japan and messing up the gene pool there are so minute that it's hard to imagine. There are many, many more immediate threats to these two species than a SF Bay hobbyist.

Having said that, I can certainly understand the concerns expressed about hybrids in general. Right now, here in Japan, herpetologists are grappling with the problem of Chinese giant salamanders fouling the gene pool of Japanese giant salamanders. These were once imported in large numbers as a delicacy for the restaurant trade and some made their way into the wild where they have interbred with Japanese ones (yes, despite their being separate species).

I should also point out that there is a record of C. ensicauda and C. pyrrhogaster being successfully bred in the laboratory in Japan. There may be some scientific value in knowing whether C. orientalis and C. pyrrhogaster can likewise interbreed...though again, this is not to be encouraged as a matter of principle.

I've posted photos here before of a C. pyrrhogaster male actively courting a C. cyanurus female, so it wouldn't surprise me to hear of one courting a C. orientalis. Anything beyond that would, however
biggrin.gif

M

michael

thank you everyone for replying. yes..a lot. he stomps on her head and flutters his tail in her face, and chases her around climbs all over her. (he's not mean about it,he just kinda holds her there with his feet.)

83140.jpg

83141.jpg

(Message edited by jennewt on April 30, 2007)

paul_b

Reaction score
AW: Japanese/chinese fire newt cross breeding

Hi all,

we don't see any useful photo of the female for a good classification!
What makes you so sure that it is a orientalis?

What's the totale lenght?
What belly pattern?

I think it is a Kanto pyrrhogater - quite larger then 10 cm, no typical orientals belly!

Paul

benschaller2

Reaction score
Go for it.

I love life. [dont think I could live without the stuff] I find the gift of life amazing in that from 2 individuals rise one individual with both traits. but monkeys and birds will never find true happiness with each other.

I am not for people playing god though, if you will.

I am not educated in this matter ether

If it works, it works
you didnt post this without having an interest in the results, and you will never know said results unless you try it out. Let me know what happends.

just my opinion

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I don't think anybody will know the answer about what happened to animals from a thread that was initiated 8 years ago. I wanted to point out that the Michael in this thread is not me. I would not cross breed.

paul_b

Reaction score
AW: Japanese/chinese fire newt cross breeding

Indeed, I am interested!
Because, I got better photos of this female, and I am pretty sure this is not orientalis - pattern like C.pyrrhogaster from Kanto, totale length of nearly 12 cm!
Paul

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a shame there were never any decent pictures of the female, a decent belly shot would have been good enough most likely. She sure could be C. p kanto, but then again she seems to have the row of tiny white (sensory?) dots along here side which I think are a Hypselotriton characteristic and are absent in C. pyrrhogaster?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!