Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Help me

kstrach15

Reaction score
I need someone's help fast!!

My axie had a growth on her back that resembled cotton and so I removed her from her tank and put her in a smaller container with fresh water. I read online to give a salt bath to get rid of the fungus that's growing but she looks horrible after the first salt bath and now has red streaks on her back. Did I do the wrong thing by giving her a salt bath? What else can I do for her, she won't eat and her gills look terrible ):
I don't even know what kind of fungal infection it is because it started on her back and moved to her tail.
I don't know what to do and I feel so bad for her. SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME HIS IS MY THIRD POST AND I HAVENT GOTTEN A REPLY

Attachments

• IMG_2900.jpg
    IMG_2900.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_2870.jpg
    IMG_2870.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 195

emdalliance

Reaction score
Do you have anymore pictures of the growth before you did the salt bath?

How did you do the salt bath?

Fungus usually attacks things like gills and toes and tail tips rather than their back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kstrach15

Reaction score
I followed the instructions from axolotl.org and mixed 2 tsp of table salt with water and I only left her in there for ten minutes, the photo where she doesn't look red was the before photo. Her conditioned as declined rapidly at this point.

And that's why I'm freaking out bc it showed no signs of starting on the gills, only her back and then a tiny patch on the tail. After the salt bath, I could tell that some of it went away but now the redness and unresponsiveness is telling me that a salt bath may have been a bad idea. I have no idea what else could've been wrong with her, I did so much research and even asked the person I got her from what I should do. They recommend a tea bag bath but I haven't read about that on any site I've been to.

I haven't given her another salt bath but I keep her in fresh dechlorinated water that I change every day to try and help her regain her strength on her own. Her tail looks VERY bent and I don't think she has much longer ):

I attached another before photo

Attachments

• IMG_2860.jpg
    IMG_2860.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 188

emdalliance

Reaction score
Tea baths are used just to soothe the skin, they don't really fight fungus.

You just need 100% black tea bags (no flavours nothing added), boil kettle, make up some tea (water andd tea bag) stir it, let cool. Remove tea bag. Pour tea into the tub your axie is in. It should look kind of gold in colour for a good amount. It will soothe her if nothing else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!