The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Tree Frogs Tree frogs of all kinds should be discussed here.

Old 11th May 2018   #1
amphibianizer
(Bill B)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 0
Rep: Bill B has started on the right path
Default Spring Peeper (Pseudacris crucifer) bloating/gas in abdomen

Hi all --

I've seen this before online and seen a few tadpoles that I have this do this before. I have Spring Peeper (Pseudacris crucifer) tadpoles that I got incidentally while picking up leaves and other plant material in a pond (most leaves from the terrestrial habitat around were oaks) while trying to find other things. When tadpoles appeared, I realized from the time of year and the way frogs are around here, they must be Peepers.

The tadpoles end up swiming upside down for a while, with and you can see an air pocket or bubble inside the abdomen... and not long after, they die.

I've looked online to find an answer about this. Some pages say it is inappropriate diet. Mine get Aquatic Frog and Tadpole Food by Zoo Med, along with natural plants (mostly algae) from the pond. Other pages suggest the water is not hard enough -- makes some sense, since calcium in water affects gases in the water. I'm a chemist or tadpole physiologist, so I am not able to put this into detail.

Any one have any ideas?

Bill

Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2018   #2
schmiggle

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 6
Rep: schmiggle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spring Peeper (Pseudacris crucifer) bloating/gas in abdomen

I don't know anything about this, but gases in the abdomen don't usually come directly from the water--it means there's something in that part of the tadpole that's eating something and releasing gas as part of it, but the gas is unable to escape. If it's a diet problem, it might be because the tadpole doesn't digest the food and it rots; if it's a water chemistry problem, the tadpole is presumably weakened and then becomes sick as it is eaten from the inside.

I don't know if this is helpful, but figured it was worth clearing up.

schmiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2018   #3
amphibianizer
(Bill B)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Rep: Bill B has started on the right path
Default Re: Spring Peeper (Pseudacris crucifer) bloating/gas in abdomen

I know it comes from inside the tadpole. I brought up water hardness (related to calcium in water) will probably affect the chemistry of fluids inside the animal.

Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote