Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello !!

kiryuuu

Reaction score
I'll introduce myself first-; Hi, I'm Marrissa and i live in PA; I've recently became an owner to an axolotl, and i'm still pretty new to everything, but learning every time ;-;

my axolotl's name is oakland, and he's a wild ^^ but; yesterday, i realized he had some fungus clinging to his gills; i've read on the facebook group that i'm in, that i should either do a pure black tea bath, or a salt bath; I did the tea bath, because i felt more comfortable with it. I let the tea cool in the fridge, then i set him in there, and placed it back in the fridge for ten minutes; then, when i put him back into the tub he was in beforehand; (after cleaning it out ), his slime coat felt really,,,weird?/ kind of grainy almost?? is that normal or did i ruin his slime coat ?? ; - ; i kept him in the tub overnight because i feel like he needs to size up in the tank ( he's in a ten gallon right now; he's as big from one corner to almost the middle,,so i'm pretty sure he's due for a tank change.). but..What else can i do besides a sand bath and a tea bath if he gets fungus again? ;-;

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1