Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New to forum

Henry

Reaction score
Hey guys! I’m new to this. My son got a leucistic axie in March. He graduated high school June 1st and began a research program at UT Dallas (3 hours away from home) on June 4th. He made sure that the university allowed his axie even prior to him getting his new family member (we don’t call them “pets.”) Unfortunately for our son the summer program didn’t allow pets of any kind so my husband and I have been loving him all summer! Awesome for us, sad for our son. He just finished research and is home until August 16th when he will finally be able to take Henry, that’s axies name, with him. I don’t know why I waited until now to set this up! This site has “saved” me so many times this summer! Thanks so much for that! Sorry this first one is so long, wanted to get our situation out there. So my question, finally, is, how do we transport Henry 3+ hours away by car? He is almost 8 inches long and very healthy (as far as we can know.)

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Hello! It's not hard to fall in love with axolotl :p
For transporting you want to basically follow the same methods as people do when shipping them. Half fill an aquarium bag (the ones you get when buying fish/aquatics from a pet store) with fresh dechlorinated water. Seal it up like they do at the pet store (it may take some practice) so there is plenty of air in there. Have a foam box ready, with some ice bottles/packs on the sides and/or bottom. Cover with a few layers of newspaper then the bag can go in, just so the bag doesn't directly touch the packs. I would recommend placing the bag on it's side rather than upright so the axolotl has more space to stretch and move around. Fill any space with more newspaper so the bag doesn't move around. Put the lid on the box and you're ready to go! Store the box in a secure and cool area of the car.
It's only a short time in the bag but you should fast the axolotl for a few days just to make sure it doesn't poop and spoil the water. Once you get to the location put the axolotl in fresh water and acclimate to the tank.
Hope this helps!

Henry

Reaction score
Hi Hayley,
Thanks for the information! That’s what I’ve been reading. I was going on to post another couple of questions also. So we have been having this “snot” whitish looking slime in his tank. It’s on his two fake plants and his hidey tree (fake also) It COVERS the filter so it doesn’t flow properly at all after only less than a week of changing it. We know that good media is on it and that’s very important to healthy readings, which have always stated at HpH: 7.8-8.0, AMM: 0.5, NITRITE: 0.25-0.5, NITRATE 20-40. 40 only shortly after water/filter changes. HELP PLEASE!

Henry

Reaction score
Hayley,

Sorry! I am learning how to use forum and cannot for the life of me figure out how to get back to the space I post to everyone...sorry to burden just you with these questions! We have until next Thursday 16th to get this under control so our son has an easier time with Henry in the dorm. I am probably freaking more than necessary but Henry is a living creature that I want to have live for a long time!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1