Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Questions about axolotl

JenaVega

Reaction score
Hey, so ive had an axolotl for five months now, and have a few questions.
1.)I have an albino axolotl and his tail is red, I want to know why.
2.)The guy at petsupermarket told my parents that axolotls arent supposed to have earthworms or feeder fish, that they can only eat blood worms and krill?
3.)Sometimes he turn all white, like pale, even his gills. Is that normal?
4.) Sometimes his back legs float but in a few hours he stops. Is that normal?
Thank You

McReel

Reaction score
1.) Has been answered somewhere here as well;
I got a albino axolotl and when I feed her or when she is swimming her gills turn flaming red and her tail turns pink. I think it's perfectly normal, the blood curculation is raised because of the effort and when the axolotl hunts.

2.) They can eat them, but it's advised do cut them up in smaller pieces, as axolotls swallong their meals whole. Also, don't only feed them earthworms or feeder fish. I use it as an extra snack, but they normally get pellets or frozen bloodworm.

3.) I don't really know, probably to do with 1.), the bloodflow.
But i'm not sure about this one.

4.) This might be due to stress, but possibly its constipation.
Keep an eye out for it, if it doesnt wear off, you can place him/her in the fridge for a few days. (i know its weird, but trust me, it works)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1