Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Karelinii morph update

J

joseph

Alex Lauret: The tail looks pretty close to that picture with orange trim and blueish coloring(pic looks a tad overexposed though). I think you are probably right on your assumption. How do the males change when they begin to mature?

Photo isn't working though.
sad.gif

(Message edited by fishkeeper on February 05, 2006)

J

joseph

Very nice! How large is she? The tail on this one seems more similar to the tail on the second largest of my batch(who I suspect is a male but have no real basis for that other than his(?) not becomimg fat). Basically dark with some white and a bold yellow white rim. The females is more orange and has a lot of blue/purple in it. Any photos of any males of yours?

A

alex

Size approximately 10 cm./4 inches.
At the moment I do not have any photos of the male. Its darker and the is has a larger bodylenght. At the moment its tail is building up. The top"frail" has an orange hue. The rim at the underside is a stronger orange colour. Once the development is a bit further I will post a photo.

J

joseph

The color description here is that for the male or the female? Do keep me updated on yours. Did you raise them or acquire as juveniles.

I would be interested in anyones opinions of the future gender of this big one based on appearnace. Appetite/some behavior I observed makes me think female but she is also quite a looker colorwise.

(Message edited by fishkeeper on February 12, 2006)

A

alex

description is for the male. The female shows the same colour as your pictures. Her head is broad, the body stout.
The male should in time acquire the same colour. I acquired the animals as juveniles.
They both feed very well, Chironomus, Corethra and Culex larvae and worms and show a healthy growth.

J

joseph

Ok, the 2nd largest is not looking much different from this one besides darker body color. What do the males look like?

A

alex

Some confusion there. I did describe the male. See picture. Not in breeding condition.
54209.jpg

J

joseph

Seems like the one I've got may be a male if color is the way to sex them...

Here is my second largest who is more or less the same size as the one pictured above.
DSCN0928.jpg

a quick shot of the first...perfect timing.
lame.gif

DSCN1042.jpg

J

joseph

DSCN1355.jpg

The second largest grew quickly enough that she made my original large one look like it shrank...which I seriously doubt! That being said they do not seem to be growing fast compared to some other people's who have been breeding at this age. As long as it is not an indication of poor health I'm not too worried but would like to see them mature soon. I've got 2-3 more which eat and swell like they will catch up soon also. And of course their are a few which lag behind. I hope I'm not raising an all girls club though!

Here are two more
DSCN1292.jpg

(Message edited by fishkeeper on July 16, 2006)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1