Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Moving Bed Filter vs. Spong Filter vs. Other Kinds of Filters

HowToAxolotl

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

I am getting my first pair of axies in the near future, and I have been trying to figured out which kind of filter would be best for them. I also posted this in the general "Axolotl" section because I forgot that Tanks/Filters had their own.

Anyways, Moving Bed filters seem to be the most efficient option, but I have very limited knowledge on them. Sponge filters seems to be the good ol' standby of axie owners, which leads me to believe that I should go with one of them. I currently have an Aqueon Quiet Flow 10 Gallon HOB filter, but I know that a filter of that type would not really be optimal for Axolotls... so with that said, what kind of filter would you suggest as the BEST option for a 10 gallon tank?

Thanks! I am very eager to hear all of your opinions :D:D

knyptozoologist

Reaction score
I was originally going to do a HOB on mine, but decided what I'd have to do to disperse the current didn't work with how I wanted to set up my decor so I ordered a sponge filter. No comments on it yet since I just ordered it yesterday, but it seemed like the simplest option.

HowToAxolotl

Reaction score
I was originally going to do a HOB on mine, but decided what I'd have to do to disperse the current didn't work with how I wanted to set up my decor so I ordered a sponge filter. No comments on it yet since I just ordered it yesterday, but it seemed like the simplest option.

Yeah, that basically describes my situation perfectly (although I havnt ordered mine yet.) It would just ruin the look if I went through the hassle of dispersing the water with my HOB. Let me know how it works out for you, as I am very curious!

snuggly time

Reaction score
First of all, nice profile pic! :D

Most people use sponge filters for their axies as they don't create a strong flow in the water. You just have to remove the waste manually to make sure there's no spikes in ammonia. It's not so bad if you use a turkey baster or siphon to remove any visible poop or left over food.

layna

Reaction score
Hey, are you planning on putting two adult axies in a 10 gallon? They need more room than that.
In one tank i have a sponge filter and in the other i use a small internal filter (hidden by plants) and an air stone, they both do the job.
Sponge filters are great but all type of filters do the job so its really personal preference :D

HowToAxolotl

Reaction score
First of all, nice profile pic! :D

Most people use sponge filters for their axies as they don't create a strong flow in the water. You just have to remove the waste manually to make sure there's no spikes in ammonia. It's not so bad if you use a turkey baster or siphon to remove any visible poop or left over food.

Yeah, the sponge filter/turkey baster combo is what I see EVERYBODY using. I suppose that that is for a good reason! I will give it a shot.

HowToAxolotl

Reaction score
Hey, are you planning on putting two adult axies in a 10 gallon? They need more room than that.
In one tank i have a sponge filter and in the other i use a small internal filter (hidden by plants) and an air stone, they both do the job.
Sponge filters are great but all type of filters do the job so its really personal preference :D

I WAS going to, but after a lot more reading I think I will limit it to one axie in a 10 gallon. The last thing I would want to be is inhumane towards the cute little guys. I read on axolotl.org that two axolotls should be fine in a 10 gallon tank though.

And yes, I think a sponge filter is the way to go!

xxianxx

Reaction score
Dont write off the moving bed filter, Mike ( Twistedfisher) runs a commercial hatchery using those filter types. They dont seem to be particularly common in the hobby though. I will ask Mike to comment on them.

twistedfisher

Reaction score
Fluidized media filters are my personal choice for filtration for anything aquatic

heres why;

the most efficient/aggressive biological filtration available
self cleaning so less maintenance
fairly low flow so it does not disturb the residence

these particular filters are efficient enough for even discus keeping

HowToAxolotl

Reaction score
Fluidized media filters are my personal choice for filtration for anything aquatic

heres why;

the most efficient/aggressive biological filtration available
self cleaning so less maintenance
fairly low flow so it does not disturb the residence

these particular filters are efficient enough for even discus keeping

What do you think of the lack of a chemical filtration element? To me, that is the main aspect that turns me off from the system. Your thoughts?

Also, how is the suction force/intake and gph of a fluidized bed filter?

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
I am going to try to disperse the water from my hob filter in my new tank when im closer to trying to cycle it. I have a few ideas in mind and though its not pretty i sure i could hide it somehlw :p and i will be using a sponge filter as well.

Right now i have a hob filter on its lowest setting and a sponge filter for up to 40gallons in my 10gallon tank. Theres a valve on the tubing so there isnt a lot of water flow.

It really is doing the job well with both combined :p though the spongefilter is really there just until im ready with my 25gallon

I have two axies in a 10gallon that are just over 4monthes old and yeah they are outgrowing it fast! I would say 10 is the bare minimum for one axie, 20being optimal.

I want to buy myself a nice 40 or 55gallon tank once i get working and can afford it. I think that will be my axies permanent home.

HowToAxolotl

Reaction score
I am going to try to disperse the water from my hob filter in my new tank when im closer to trying to cycle it. I have a few ideas in mind and though its not pretty i sure i could hide it somehlw :p and i will be using a sponge filter as well.

Right now i have a hob filter on its lowest setting and a sponge filter for up to 40gallons in my 10gallon tank. Theres a valve on the tubing so there isnt a lot of water flow.

It really is doing the job well with both combined :p though the spongefilter is really there just until im ready with my 25gallon

I have two axies in a 10gallon that are just over 4monthes old and yeah they are outgrowing it fast! I would say 10 is the bare minimum for one axie, 20being optimal.

I want to buy myself a nice 40 or 55gallon tank once i get working and can afford it. I think that will be my axies permanent home.

Yeah, I have come to the conclusion that one axie per 10 gallon minimum. I have been thinking of using a fluidized bed filter instead of a sponge filter... any opinions?

knyptozoologist

Reaction score
I don't know anything about fluidized bed filters, but I like how easy my sponge filter was to set up :D Plus it's not super loud (I have a Tetra Whisper 20 air pump, it vibrates a bit, but isn't any louder than the noise from the street outside my window).

twistedfisher

Reaction score
what do you mean by chemical filtration?

the nitrification process is the process in which

waste/uneaten food->ammonia->nitrite->nitrate

at that point the entire process is complete and there are only 2 was to remove nitrate

1) live plants use it as food source

or

2) water changes

xxianxx

Reaction score
what do you mean by chemical filtration?

the nitrification process is the process in which

waste/uneaten food->ammonia->nitrite->nitrate

at that point the entire process is complete and there are only 2 was to remove nitrate

1) live plants use it as food source

or

2) water changes

3) establish anaerobic bacterial activity in the tank.....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!