Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: What is wrong with my axolotls ?!

GreerDalrymple

Reaction score
Hi, there is something wrong with my axolotls as well as my morphed axolotls.
I had 4 healthy axolotls which were all roughly a year & a half old, living in an unfiltered 4 foot tank healthy & happy for over a yeah & a half.
I also had 3 morphed axolotls which are an unknown age but I have had them the same amount of time roughly, also living in a four foot tank with plenty of land acess, though they chose to stay in the water almost all the time.

They were all healthy & eating well.

About a month ago problems started occurring, they weren't eating quite as often, & the gills of my axolotls started shrinking, & one of my axies was dead one morning. I did a half water change & moved them from their tanks into big black 2 foot buckets (rectangular barrel) from the pet shop, 2 in each. I also checked the water, temperature & started fixing my filter to re set up a four foot tank for them.
Another axolotl died a few days later, the rest are feeding but showing signs of sickness. I noticed something wrong with the skin around the eye of one of the morphs, spoke to my local pet shop & got some fungal stuff for the water. I only did half a dose in the water for all of them, as it said if you are not sure if they have it or not that half will start healing it visibly if they do, & if not it wouldn't harm them.
Last night my morphed axolotl Morpheus died. He was becoming particularly hard to feed, & was the one with the possible fungal infection.

I don't know what else to do, please help!

Morrison

Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss :(

I guess they have those problems being in an unfiltered tank for all that time. It takes a lot of time and effort to keep unfiltered tanks clean.
It's best to check the water parameters. High niteites, nitrates and especially ammonia can cause these kind of illnesses. Also check the temperature and make sure you dechlorinate the water.

I have no clue what might be wrong with the morphed ones, since I have no experience with those.

GreerDalrymple

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply; I will check the water again today, water is always treated with ager.
It's just horrible, I wish there was more I could do!

Possum63

Reaction score
Hi there

Sorry for your losses. A couple of questions, what was your maintenance routine for the two tanks? What were their diets? Anything new your have introduced recently, even something very small that you don't think could cause this to happen? Anything that directly related the two tanks eg diet or a couple ornaments you got from the same source that has gone into both tanks?

GreerDalrymple

Reaction score
Well my filter had recently broken so I was doing 1/3 water changes every day with temperature control, they usually eat earth worms, with the odd cricket or some red heart I their lucky.
Both seem to e doing much better & I will e getting the chiller sometime today/tomorrow :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!