Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pillbugs

tcbemis

Reaction score
... or whatever you want to call them :).
A couple weeks ago we collected a LOT of them from a fallen tree out back. We have them in 2 critter containers (those little plastic "tanks" for tiny critters) with about 5 inches of garden soil, lots of bark etc. We've been giving them fish flakes and some veggie scraps as recommended on here.

The problem is that we've put a few adults in with the (spotted) salamanders, hoping they'll set up a colony. There's been a few adults hanging out under a piece of bark consistently (the babies seem to go missing pretty quickly), so I put some fish flakes under the log for them. When I checked after only 2 days, the flakes were so completely moldy that I scooped them out, figuring that can't be good for the Sals.

So I guess I'm looking for opinions (did we do something wrong?) and advice on how to let them live in the sal tank, without posing a hazard for my salamanders.

Thank you!

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

otolith

Reaction score
I'm assuming you are referring to woodlice/pillbugs/sowbugs/rolly-pollys etc. Don't bother feeding the ones that stay alive in your salamander tank. They will find plenty of food eating detritus and salamander poop, adding food will just cause problems as you've seen. As long as there is plenty of leaflitter in the tank they'll do just fine. You just won't get big population booms.

Having a separate culture will come in handy to replenish the ones that get eaten. There are quite a lot of threads on here and other sites on how to successfully culture the various species.

tcbemis

Reaction score
Thank you! Also... I meant "pillbugs"... Damn autocorrect.

tcbemis

Reaction score
@jacquie thank you! I meant to do it, but just just had the chance... ?

tcbemis

Reaction score
Omg *haven't* had the chance... It's going to be a long day...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1