Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is anyone familar with Lirceus fontinalis?

JMH

Reaction score
I went to Arabia Mountain just outside of Atlanta on Sunday and found these little aquatic isopods. I'd never seen them before but a little research told me they are Lirceus fontinalis. I grabbed two groups from different pools and have them set up in Sterilites. Anyone know anything about them in terms of breeding and keeping? Here are a few pictures.

Attachments

• DSC_3487.JPG
    DSC_3487.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,160
  • DSC_3488.JPG
    DSC_3488.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 1,019
  • GEDC0554.JPG
    GEDC0554.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 860

otolith

Reaction score
I had these in a tank for awhile, they reproduce fairly slowly but I had a stable population. They were very easy to keep in a planted tank with lots of driftwood. I caught mine in a reservoir outside Baltimore, MD. If i caught one and held it with tweezers in front of the newt's head they would eat them, but the newts (Lissotriton vulgaris and Taricha rivularis) would not go out of their way to hunt them down. These isopods are very secretive and tend to hide under wood and detritus. I prefer scuds/gammarus as resident feeders.

JMH

Reaction score
I have 4 cultures of these guys going now and found the best production comes from a gravel substrate, large rocks for cover, gentle aeration, and leaves. Virtually no maintenance, just add water occasionally and add more leaves once they have been eaten.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!