The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

Old 17th April 2017   #1
Kaniel
(Twigwise)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Twigwise is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi! New Axie Dad!

Hello! I'm Kan, from Michigan. I'm very new to both the world of aquaria and owning an axolotl! I work at a small holistic pet store so I am very familiar with the care of these types of critters, plus I've had an overpowering interest in keeping axolotls for years, so I've done my research. I kind of jumped head first into the "deep end" with this, though- I just got my tank properly set up and bought my axolotl (A juvenile wild type (I think) that's about 2 inches long, named Dragon) just on Friday (15.4.17).
Click the image to open in full size.
(The grains in the picture are from when I set up the tank- I was expecting to put a betta in here, but I fell in love with little Dragon and am using this as a temporary tank until I get the 29 gallon I was planning on getting. I have gotten all the sand out that I could!)

Like I said, I work at a holistic pet store and have a lot of knowledge about many things, but have no experience keeping an aquarium or watching a pet of this type 24/7 and monitoring his health as a pet parent (instead of a pet store employee, where there are many other people to watch and care for the animals in addition to myself). I'm happy to be a member of this forum because I've been very nervous!

Twigwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017   #2
Amyglistens

Nationality:
Rep: Amyglistens is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hi! New Axie Dad!

Hi ya, congrats on getting your first axolotl (wild type, definitely looks that way to me) They're great little pets. This is a brilliant site for getting lots of helpful tips. Ive got about 10 years experience but only just ventured into babes/juveniles and trust me you learn something new every day
If you haven't already I'd buy a cheap turkey baster. They're great for picking up waste and uneaten food from the bottom of the tank and you'd easily pick up the last of the grain to keep you new little one extra safe.
Congrats again

Amyglistens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017   #3
Kaniel
(Twigwise)

Nationality:
Rep: Twigwise is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyglistens View Post
Hi ya, congrats on getting your first axolotl (wild type, definitely looks that way to me) They're great little pets. This is a brilliant site for getting lots of helpful tips. Ive got about 10 years experience but only just ventured into babes/juveniles and trust me you learn something new every day
If you haven't already I'd buy a cheap turkey baster. They're great for picking up waste and uneaten food from the bottom of the tank and you'd easily pick up the last of the grain to keep you new little one extra safe.
Congrats again
Thank you for the recommendation! I got a turkey baster today and am at work cleaning up the last of the sand now, haha.

Twigwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017   #4
Amyglistens

Nationality:
Rep: Amyglistens is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah brilliant, they're so handy to have.

Amyglistens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017   #5
GalLuvsAxolotls

Nationality:
Rep: GalLuvsAxolotls has given good advice and informationGalLuvsAxolotls has given good advice and information

Congratulations on your new pet! I think Dragon is a wild type as well.

GalLuvsAxolotls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, introduction