The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 6th November 2017   #1
bethancaitlin

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: bethancaitlin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Axolotl seems weird and isnít eating?

I got my first 2 Axolotls about 5 days ago, one albino (Lilo) and one wild type (Stitch)
The albino seems fine and has grown loads, sheís really greedy.
The wild type however quite often goes to the surface for what looks like bubbles of air, and we are struggling to feed him. The first few days he would only eat one waxworm and now he wonít eat anything, weíve offered bloodworms, waxworms and earthworms (we have to cut these up as heís only small and wonít eat them whole)
All the water parameters are correct, Iíve been testing at least twice a day out of stress
The temperature is also at roughly 17C constantly, the have no light, and a breeder sponge filter with an air pump at the lowest setting. They also have a fine sand substrate as this is what they had at the reptile shop. And they live together in a 100x50x40cm tank (about 150L I think)
Iím concerned since he seems to be getting skinny whereas the albino is getting bigger and bigger.
Both are only a few months old from what Iíve been told.
Any tips on what might be up with him or how to encourage him to eat?
And also tips on sexing them as Iím just calling him male because of his name at the moment!
Thanks

bethancaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2017   #2
Cloppy
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Cloppy has shown reliable knowledgeCloppy has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Axolotl seems weird and isnít eating?

Has he eaten anything? or pooped any?

Old 7th November 2017   #3
Biev

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: Biev has given good advice and informationBiev has given good advice and informationBiev has given good advice and information

Maybe Lilo snapped at Stitch in the past and he's intimidated? When I first got my axolotls, my male was afraid of my female and wouldn't eat in her presence. It took me a while to realize that that was the problem. When I separated them, he started eating bloodworms, then as he got healthier he was able to graduate to other kinds of worms. I kept them separately for a couple of months and now they're back together and doing fine.

Biev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2017   #4
bethancaitlin

Nationality:
Rep: bethancaitlin is an unknown quantity at this point

They only spent a week together at the shop before I had them so think it might be that theyíve snapped.
He ate waxworms the first two days and he has been pooping.
Iíve been leaving bloodworms in the tank in case heís hungry so not sure if heís just been eating a few whilst Iím not there?

bethancaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, feeding