Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: To salt or not to salt, that is my question

Turtledrew15

Reaction score
Hello all, just wanted to ask about the technicalities to adding salt to an axolotl tank or not. I have read they they prefer slightly brackish water but also that only freshwater is the way to go. Some say if you have hard water, then keep it only fresh and if it is soft to add some salt. Some do it either way to add some nutrients to the water, and some won't do it at all because as long as water quality is good there is no reason to for them. I'm interested in the opinions and thought processes of people who do it or don't and why. If it is related to hardness or softness, can anyone explain in simple terms why that is?

Axolotlee

Reaction score
As long as your tap water is ok to drink the axolotyl will be fine with 90% weekly water changes. There's enough metals in our drinking water already. I would just use a conditioner for the chlorine and such but that's goes away in 24-48 hours anyways just sitting.a little bit of chlorine won't hurt and it also kills any fungus/bacteria. So long story short they are fine in tap water i never add or do anything to the water. Its cleaner than the lake they come from trust me. They are hardy animals and will survive without all the extras. All these remedy and liquids to make water safe only stresses the lotto out. . He's fine without any of this in the wild....Hope that helps

FX1C

Reaction score
As long as your tap water is ok to drink the axolotyl will be fine with 90% weekly water changes. There's enough metals in our drinking water already. I would just use a conditioner for the chlorine and such but that's goes away in 24-48 hours anyways just sitting.a little bit of chlorine won't hurt and it also kills any fungus/bacteria. So long story short they are fine in tap water i never add or do anything to the water. Its cleaner than the lake they come from trust me. They are hardy animals and will survive without all the extras. All these remedy and liquids to make water safe only stresses the lotto out. . He's fine without any of this in the wild....Hope that helps

this is such bad &dangerous advice!

the reason they don’t need all the chemicals in their natural habitat is that it’s millions of litres of water not just a fewin an enclosed environment!

A bit of chlorine is very dangerous & all tap water should be dechlorinated.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Agreed

Tap water is treated to kill things and thats not whats in nature. We need to neutralize what we added and get it closer to nature with natural salts if our tap water is over processed and have low GH.

I live where the water is relatively hard but still need to add salts to balance and have very few to no health issues now that I have added for the last year plus.

this is such bad &dangerous advice!

the reason they don’t need all the chemicals in their natural habitat is that it’s millions of litres of water not just a fewin an enclosed environment!

A bit of chlorine is very dangerous & all tap water should be dechlorinated.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!