Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Help axolotl has weird bumps where leg should be!

Brooke99

Reaction score
I just got an axolotl yesterday from a pet store. When I get home to put him in his tank I noticed weird bumps under his belly. I was told that he/she was around 1 year old and from the looks of it he was in a 5 gallon bucket his whole life. He is missing all his legs and looks pretty rough. Does anybody know what these big bumps are? The bumps are on his right side where his back leg should be. I have never had an axolotl before and need some advice.
-Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4768.jpg
    IMG_4768.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_4769.jpg
    IMG_4769.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 265

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
That almost looks like it’s coming out of his cloaca! If so it could be a prolapse or something, but I would DEFINITELY reccommend a trip to the vet as soon as possible.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Oh gosh, I don't know how they sold that to you with the poor thing like that. I agree it does look like a prolapse, get to a vet asap.

Brooke99

Reaction score
I called the vet this morning and it seems like the only thing I can do is take the sand out so it does not irritate him anymore and just let him heal what he can. From the looks of it the prolapse seems old because it is white and not pink. My biggest concern is if he is in pain. He's really active and has been eating. I would take him back to the pet store but I think they are just going to kill him. So I am just going to keep him and if his health starts to decline then I will look into euthanasia.

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
Can I see more pictures of him? I’m just interested in seeing what he looks like overall, that coloration looks gorgeous! Do you know how he lost all his limbs? Are they showing any signs of growing back, or have they been missing a long time?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
You're probably right that they would euthanise him. His best chance is with you :)
Keeping the water cool will help. I'm not sure if fridging will help, or if it would cause more stress.
I'd love to see more photos too! Really interested about the legs.

DSaxolotl

Reaction score
Having no legs, damn what they kept it with in the pet store?

Do you have full body pictures of him?

Btw try to keep your water quality up and yeah no sand will be good because it will just drag on it and irritate it more, having no legs.

Are the other signs of possible infections that might of set already?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!