The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Old 31st August 2018   #1
honeydew

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: honeydew is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cleaning and cycle?

Hi everyone! Currently Iím in the process of cycling a tank for my axolotl. Obviously I havenít been doing water changes as Iím waiting for the cycle to be established, but as a result the bottom of the tank is looking pretty dirty. My question is: If I clean the bottom of the tank, will that crash the cycle by removing bacteria that may be settled there? My tank is bare-bottomed by the way! Thank you!

honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2018   #2
Tye

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Tye has given good advice and informationTye has given good advice and information
Default Re: Cleaning and cycle?

I'm sorry no one responded to this. You should be able to clean the bottom of the tank, you'll be cleaning the waste from the axolotl when you get it after all. The beneficial bacteria will tend to colonize on your decorations, hides, plants and inside the filter media. So cleaning the bottom of the tank shouldn't harm your cycle.
Things that will crash a cycle would be to replace all the filter media at once, wash the media with tap water, clean off all the decorations with tap water, doing many 100% water changes. Those are the kinds of things that can cause a cycle crash.

Tye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacteria, clean, cleaning, cycle, cycle crash, tank