Best filter for 55 gallon aquarium

wremmrg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am setting up a 55 gallon aquarium for three axolotls, and am wondering what the best filtration would be. Any suggestions?

I would suggest a canister filter. It's the easiest option and if you use a chiller it'll hook up to it easily. I don't have a particular brand to recommend but for my turtle I use a aquamanta. I also have a small sunsun on my juvenile tank but once I have it filled up I'll probably also hook up a HOB. I also suggest using a sponge filter as well as a canister or HOB.
I would just stay away from any undergravel or internal filters :)

I am currently using a canister filter for my 29 gallon, that I happy with. Will have to see if they make a larger one that will handle 55 gallons.

You shouldn't have an issue finding one for a 55 gallon tank. My turtle tank is a similar size and the canister I'm using isn't the biggest model.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back