The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

Old 22nd May 2019   #1
Marino1310

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Marino1310 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Foods for juvenile axolotls?

Any good recommendations on food for 2" axolotls? Im currently feeding frozen omega enriched brine shrimp but thats getting expensive. I have about 100 axolotls that ill need to sell but in the meantime food is the biggest cost since each pack is $7 and only lasts a few days. Ive tried small cichlid pellets and they do eat them but I can often see the bulges in their stomachs from them and im worried they may be hurt by them. They also dissolve rather quickly and dirty up the large tank theyre in (I have them in a 40 gal long reptile tank) so by the time they come across their pellets theyve already dissolved. Any tips on feeding them? I try keeping them as full as possible to avoid cannibalism (so far only 1 axolotl has died and that was when they were in their small 20 gallon tank) so I normally feed 5 cubes of brine twice a day and its always all gone within the hour

Marino1310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2019   #2
Kingfisher

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Kingfisher has started on the right path
Default Re: Foods for juvenile axolotls?

You could try getting some Rangen salmon pellets. Or start re-homing your juveniles so you don't have to feed them all.

Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2019   #3
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Foods for juvenile axolotls?

When Carol was around 2 inches I fed her live blackworms. I'm not sure if that's more economical for you, but it was a great food source! Bloodworms are worth a shot, though frozen they are less nutritious than blackworms.

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feeding, juvenile axolotl