The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 2nd May 2019   #1
Roxee592

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Roxee592 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Size substrate

Hello! I got my first axolotl and I am currently letting the tank cycle before I put him/her in and Iím wondering about the substrate I put in the tank. It is sand but I donít know if it is fine enough. Would the sand be fine if it is smaller then the axolotlís waste (Incase it did get sucked up)?

Roxee592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019   #2
cerastes

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: cerastes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Size substrate

In general you either want sand as it passed through their digestive system (yours is probably fine if your axolotl is not a larvae) or pebbles larger than their mouths so that they can't ingest them. They are perfectly fine without any substrate as well. Makes cleaning the tank much easier.

cerastes is offline   Reply With Quote