The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 28th June 2019   #1
robbudo

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: robbudo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nymph tiger salamanders with missing front legs

I got some tiger salamanders out of an abandoned pool today. They ranged from tiny nymphs to giant adults. There were also a ton of tadpoles in there, which I assume they were mostly feeding on. I got a handful to take home, but I've noticed one (3.5 inches long) is completely missing the front two legs, like completely. Not sure if they were bit off or what. Then I checked the legs of the other ones and found one more (2 inches long), with just the foot and five toes missing on one of the front legs.

I've tried to get pics, but they are just too small to show up in the picture.

I'd bet the one with just the foot regrows, but the one with the both front legs missing?

Last edited by robbudo; 29th June 2019 at 00:07.
robbudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2019   #2
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Re: Nymph tiger salamanders with missing front legs

The legs most likely will have been nipped/ eaten by the others. They should all regrow well. Feed well on small pieces of earthworm daily and you should soon see the legs regrowing. It sounds like they are still in water, that being the case, let them have access to land. A slopping stone or substrate will be fine.

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote