The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

Old 31st December 2018   #1
KarmaWillow

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: KarmaWillow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Feeding Help for my two new Axolotls

Hi everyone!
Recently I got two new juvenile axolotls, and have had them for about two weeks. They seem to be mostly ok but are not eating well. Sometimes they will eat carnivore pellets but only when it is dropped right in front of their faces and even then they will sometimes just ignore it. One of them really likes frozen bloodworms but I have heard that those are not the best staple food for axolotls. I have tried cutting up and feeding them both nightcrawlers and red wigglers but they seem to either not be interested or will just spit them out. I have heard that some worms will emit a foul smell when stressed and so I have tried quickly blanching them and then putting them in a cold bin of water for 30 minutes but it still gets spit out. The tank temp is usually around 63 degrees fahrenheit and my axolotls are both around 5 inches. Does anyone have any tips on feeding them so that they don't spit out their food?

KarmaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2019   #2
Ellen Chernoff
(ellenc)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ellenc has shown reliable knowledgeellenc has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Feeding Help for my two new Axolotls

If you feed them beef liver, they will worship you. Cut into thin strips and freeze. Defrost as needed. Many also like slices of freeze-dried tubifex worm cubes. Offer both of these with long feeding forceps.

ellenc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl advice, axolotl beginner, feeding