The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Old 29th January 2019   #1
clofuller

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: clofuller is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Ammonia Rising

Hi I recently did a project of using silicone to stick gravel to the bottom of my tank. I also made a diy hide using stones and silicone on a Tupperware container. It’s all been set up but my ammonia readings are slowly creeping up. Over the past few days it has gone from 0 to 0.05. I’m wondering if it’s anythhung to do with the silicone. It’s 100% silicone and it says suitable for aquariums. The aquarium also went very cloudy for a while but has started to settle. What are some ways I can lower it and what else could it be? My pH is at about 7.5

clofuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2019   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Ammonia Rising

Hey! The mods might merge this with your other thread which could be easier to track for you. I will answer in the meantime :)
Since it is cycling the ammonia going up is fine, just keep the axie out. I don't think it would have been the silicone. I've used it many times without issue. I'd love to see a pic of the DIY projects!
The cloudy water would have been a bacterial bloom which is perfectly normal for a new tank. The ammonia will lower itself as it cycles so you don't need to add anything. What dechlorinator are you using?

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2019   #3
clofuller

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: clofuller is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi thanks for replying :) Iím using Prime concentrated conditioner for marine and freshwater. I also have the neutral regulator because I had a pH problem in the past but Iím not 100% sure how axolotls react to this. How long do you think it will take for my tank to finish cycling? Also I would love to share some pics but Iím still figuring out how to...

clofuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2019   #4
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Prime is great as a dechlorinator, I use it as well. It can throw ammonia results though, so try not to test the water until at least a day after a water change.
pH isn't a big deal with axolotls, anywhere from 6.5-8 is fine. I would advise against using any bottled pH adjusters as axolotl skin absorbs everything. Crushed coral helps raise pH and indian almond leaves can lower pH. These are great alternatives if you do need to adjust it.
Cycling can take anywhere from a couple of weeks to months. Higher temps and little/no water changes will cycle it faster, as long as there is no animal in there. Live plants and filter media/decorations from a cycled tank can also make it cycle faster.

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammonia axolotl, cycle time