The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 6th June 2019   #1
Leslieks

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Leslieks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Putting axolotls together

Hi, I have two axolotls and one is smaller than the other but I would really like to put them together now that it's getting hot and the smaller axolotl is currently in a tub. The larger axolotl is about 5 1/2 - 6 inches while the other is 4 inches big. Would it be okay to put them together or could my smaller axolotl get eaten?

Leslieks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2019   #2
GeoludvikIV

Nationality:
Rep: GeoludvikIV is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Putting axolotls together

Hello,
There shouldn't be a problem if they are around the same size, even if it is a 2 inch difference. The only risk is one of them fighting the other (cannibalism) although this shouldn't happen if they're both well fed and have some space. I think it would be safe to tub them together only if there is enough room, and they are both non-aggressive.

GeoludvikIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019   #3
KumquatSquats

Nationality:
Rep: KumquatSquats has started on the right path
Default Re: Putting axolotls together

as long as they are well fed and have space you should be fine putting them together, general rule of thumb is once they are about 5 inches long they are ok for tankmates

i took a risk with mine and have had 3 together since i got them at 2 inches, only injuries have been minor feeding time nips and one of my guys had his tail bit twice, just as it was healed up from the first one it got bitten again in the same spot hes ok, it was just the very end of the tail skin.
i think ive had so few bites because i try and keep at least one hide per axolotl plus an extra spot or two.

KumquatSquats is offline   Reply With Quote