The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 18th June 2019   #1
Alex Dow

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Alex Dow has started on the right path
Default 7 Year Old P. labiatus diet advice.

So it's been nearly 6 years since my last post and my P. labiatus has been living a very healthy life as far as I can tell. Never leaves the water and his tank is well looked after with change arounds and new scenery swapped in every now and then to keep him interested.

He's around 7 years old now and my mum has been looking after him for the past 4 years. She's done a great job but now I'm with him again I've got some questions on his diet. For most parts of the year he'll refuse to eat anything but frozen bloodworms. Every now and then ( a couple of times a year) he'll eat a mealworm or an earthworm but it's difficult to keep things when 90% of the time he'll just turn it down.

He's been like this for about 6 years and I said, he seems healthy. I'm just curious if anyone would advise changing his diet and the techniques to do so. We do have quite hard, chalky water where I live and though we obviously treat it to remove chlorine I'm assuming that's helped somewhat with his diet from what I've read.

I've attached a couple of pictures of him just toward the end of his meal this evening.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190618_005236.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	441.4 KB
ID:	55560   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190618_005224.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	450.0 KB
ID:	55561   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190618_005316.jpg
Views:	12