The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 20th June 2019   #1
Rokuta

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Rokuta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Specifications for keeping a Siren(Sirenidae)?

I'm looking for information about Sirenidae. Possibly considering one as a pet as I see them at my LFS on occaison.

Firstly; Are they well suited to captivity? I read that they can leave the water and make noises on occasion which leads me to believe they would like more of a turtle habitat or just are not suited to captivity at all.

Secondly; Are there any resources pertaining to them anywhere?

Thirdly; Are they extremely different to care for than axolotls??

I don't intend to aquire one until I know what they need, including common diseases and cures for these animals.

Rokuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2019   #2
Tara
(Tarabull)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 0
Rep: Tarabull is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Specifications for keeping a Siren(Sirenidae)?

Hi!

I have 3 siren intermedia. They all vary in age and size. I keep mine separate because of this.

First: They can leave the water if allowed but you would find a dried up dead siren or one that encases itself in mucus so it doesn't dry up and die. Mine have done great in captivity. Be sure to have the right sized tank, hides for them, sand to dig in, and a secure lid.

Second: There are many things on them you can find while Googling. Some are conflicting, so some things you learn through experience and other's experience. There is a Facebook group for sirens called Dwarf, lesser and greater siren enthusiasts.

Third: The care is almost the exact same to axolotls. I kept and bred them before I started keeping sirens. You don't need to monitor the water temps as much since sirens don't need really cold water. The tank size requirements are different depending on which species you choose. Also, the bigger the siren gets you can give different foods.

They are hardy animals. The only problems I've seen people have with them is fungus, I assume from an injury and or poor water conditions. I've been keeping them for a little over 5 years and have never had any problems with mine other than me being stupid and having a pleco that tried to eat my large boy. All his sores healed in no time flat with no issue or meds.

Tara

Tarabull is offline   Reply With Quote