The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
NaHummus

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: NaHummus is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Prospective Axolotl Father!

Hi All!

Name is David, currently living in NYC. Prepping for Axolotl ownership, I'm hoping to adopt 2 juveniles in the coming weeks with a 20gal long tank with an air pump/sponge. I plan on using a bacteria mixture to jump-start the cycle process and checking levels before actually adopting, which leads me to a few questions:

How long do you think the cycle process might take to stabilize, taking account the addition of bacteria formula?

What breeders would you recommend?

Are there any breeds that exhibit particular social characteristics?

Will my 20gal long tank be sufficient for 2 'lotls?

Thanks!

NaHummus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
Auli
(AuSu)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: AuSu has given consistently good advice and informationAuSu has given consistently good advice and informationAuSu has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Prospective Axolotl Father!

Welcome to the forum!
I don't know much about axolotls but I'm quite sure you could find some answers in the Axolotl part here. And here are axolotl breeders, I think you can find a nice healthy individual from their babies. For sale-part is good to check out and I think someone was recently selling axies -- not sure though. Good luck!

AuSu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Prospective Axolotl Father!

Well, I'll answer a little, but I don't keep axies.

THere are a few of us radicals who don't cycle tanks. I am one. I take aged water, throw in some leaves from the yard, let it bubble a day or two and that's that. I do a 1/2 water change once a month.

I'd just go to a local expo and see if they have axies; if not I'd look at our ads and get one from there.

There are no different breeds of axies, there are different colors, but I've never heard talk about different personalities based on color.

20 L should be fine for two axies.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote