View Desktop Site Register
Caudata.org - Newts & Salamanders
Gymnophiona: Caecilians>Terrestrial caecilian keepers.
ozarkhellbender 04:52 22nd October 2010
Is anyone here currently keeping terrestrial caecilians?

 
Reply
Eugenia 19:24 26th October 2010
Me not and as far as I know nobody in Russia by now.
But I would love to. And am interested in any kind of information.

 
Reply
markusA 14:08 27th October 2010
I know of a researcher group at the University of Jena (e.g. Dr. Kupfer, author of the article in Paris thread) Germany who keep and breed African terrestrial Caecilians of the genus Herpele and Boulengerula. They feed their animals earth worms. And it seems not difficult to breed them.

 
Reply
ozarkhellbender 04:41 29th October 2010
Originally Posted by markusA:
I know of a researcher group at the University of Jena (e.g. Dr. Kupfer, author of the article in Paris thread) Germany who keep and breed African terrestrial Caecilians of the genus Herpele and Boulengerula. They feed their animals earth worms. And it seems not difficult to breed them.
That's incredible! I've never heard of anyone being able to breed Boulengerula. That's great news. I don't currently own any, but I am looking into getting some Boulengerula uluguruensis from a dealer here in the U.S.

 
Reply
Chamaeleo 15:10 11th November 2010
Since April I have 2 Geotrypetes seraphinis, they are not so difficult to keep; but there are other species in my list (e. g. Ichthyophis spp., Typhlonectes natans)

 
Reply
ozarkhellbender 08:45 27th November 2011
I thought it was time to revive this thread. If there is one thing I'm more addicted to than caudates, it's caecilians! I've had a hard time acquiring any here in the US. The dealer here in the US who used to carry Boulengerula uluguruensis no longer imports them. However, I was able to get a Geotrypetes seraphini from them. Unfortunately, my Geotrypetes seraphini had been exposed to very low temperatures in transit, and the stress was too much for it, so it did not survive long.

 
Reply
Chamaeleo 16:17 27th November 2011
This June mines died: they became sick, maybe the earthworm they ate contained something

 
Reply
ozarkhellbender 22:22 27th November 2011
Originally Posted by Chamaeleo:
This June mines died: they became sick, maybe the earthworm they ate contained something
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you are able to acquire some more. Were the earthworms store-bought or collected from the wild? I am on the hunt for more Geotrypetes seraphini, that seems to be the only species being imported for the general public here in the US.

 
Reply
FrogEyes 01:15 28th November 2011
Geotrypetes seraphini and Herpele squalostoma are imported together. Other importers have brought in some kind of East African caecilian which would seem to be Boulengerula fisheri [not seen], earlier this year.

 
Reply
ozarkhellbender 02:00 28th November 2011
Originally Posted by FrogEyes:
Geotrypetes seraphini and Herpele squalostoma are imported together. Other importers have brought in some kind of East African caecilian which would seem to be Boulengerula fisheri [not seen], earlier this year.
Yes, I've heard this before, but I haven't been able to find either the Herpele or the Boulengerula. It would seem that, if they are being imported, it's in very small numbers.

 
Reply
FrogEyes 02:18 28th November 2011
Herpele and Geotrypetes are imported and sold as the same animal, though they're clearly different, having different colors, annular counts, and "tail" size and shape. The vendor with Boulengerula listed them as Geotrypetes, but Geotrypetes doesn't come from East Africa and isn't "tiger-striped", whereas Boulengerula fisheri fits both

Basically, you can't trust the names on lists, especially when obscure creatures are concerned. The so-called "common names" can sometimes give useful clues, as can the other species on a list. For example, if Rieppeleon, Agama mwanzae, and various other species are on a list, then a shipment has likely arrived from Tanzania. If Conraua or Hemitheconyx are on it, a shipment has likely come from Cameroon, Togo, or other points west. That obviously narrows the possibilities. Sometimes you might be able to phone a vendor and ask for specific variants - like "all-black mandarin salamanders" or "light gray caecilians". Sometimes you just buy as many as you can and hope for the best, perhaps selling off the ones you don't want.

 
Reply
ozarkhellbender 02:26 28th November 2011
Originally Posted by FrogEyes:
Herpele and Geotrypetes are imported and sold as the same animal, though they're clearly different, having different colors, annular counts, and "tail" size and shape. The vendor with Boulengerula listed them as Geotrypetes, but Geotrypetes doesn't come from East Africa and isn't "tiger-striped", whereas Boulengerula fisheri fits both
I know that Herpele and Geotrypetes have been sold under the same name in the past, but in the last couple years that I've been looking, I've only been seeing individuals that were definitely Geotrypetes. You are right, Geotrypetes do not come from East Africa, but they most certainly have "tiger-striping".

 
Reply
FrogEyes 02:45 28th November 2011
The ones I've seen didn't, but that could have been age or local variation. The Boulengerula I refered to should have been B.taitanus.

 
Reply
ozarkhellbender 03:07 28th November 2011
Striping is quite common in Geotrypetes seraphini. All the individuals I've seen, both in person and online, have had striping.

 
Reply
Coastal Groovin 08:16 28th November 2011
I tried Geotrypetes seraphini last year. I kept them at 78 degrees in coco fiber soil mix with bark over the top. They refused all food. isopods , worms, and termites and died after a month.

 
Reply
Chamaeleo 17:06 28th November 2011
Originally Posted by ozarkhellbender:
I hope you are able to acquire some more.
I hope so
Originally Posted by ozarkhellbender:
Were the earthworms store-bought or collected from the wild?
They were collected from wild, and I had collected them almost for a year before, without any problem.
Originally Posted by BillYannone:
I tried Geotrypetes seraphini last year. I kept them at 78 degrees in coco fiber soil mix with bark over the top. They refused all food. isopods , worms, and termites and died after a month.
At first I kept them in coconut fiber too, but they were difficult to feed and they refused all food (earthworms, previously killed small crickets and mealworms). This happened in April 2010. After 2 weeks without eating I decided to place them to a simple setup (plastic box with moist paper towel and some pieces of bark, the towel was changed at least every second day or when it became polluted) and I put them in a drawer to provide darkness. The animals started to eat (only earthworms, that's when I learned what to feed them) and worked well without any problem until they got that sickness in June...

 
Reply
Coastal Groovin 22:03 28th November 2011
I know the Zoo in Philadelphia PA. (USA) works with them and have some very large aquatic ones on display. Well they did a few years ago anyway.

 
Reply
JacksonR 23:40 28th November 2011
They have and aquatic caecillian at the Dallas zoo also. I saw it shedding and eating it on my visit. Weird animal.

 
Reply
ozarkhellbender 01:41 29th November 2011
The Sedgwick County Zoo in Wichita, Kansas has quite an impressive collection of terrestrial species also.

 
Reply
yama 17:03 10th January 2012
Most Impressive discussion. I too have been bitten by the caeclian bug again. I enjoy them However would like to find out more about their soil and temp needs before purchase to ensure best chance @ survival rate. I am sure species requirements differ. However I am looking for specifics on some of the one we see most often in the trade. Lomy soil or no? Baked top soil, how bout clay like soil??? Humidity??? ph of water you are misting with??? etc Oh and yes where to find??? Who are some of the importers you gent are speaking of???

 
Reply
Reply Up
AdminCP