Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What do you feed your alpines?

Cheshiresbreak

Reaction score
Me and my partner are getting some apline newts here in the next week and were wondering what to feed them/ how often?

We were thinking about buying some live bloodworms but due to the concerns that they could carry disease if we just buy them from anywhere we're no longer so sure about that. Would blood worm pellets be a good substitution?

otolith

Reaction score
Worms or nightcrawlers are the best staple food for pretty much all newts. I dig mine out of my garden beds and yard (I do not use herbicides or pesticides). Alpines are not generally fussy eaters, frozen bloodworms, black worms, earthworms, live brine shrimp, daphnia will probably all be accepted without any issue. I have been able to get adults to eat pellets too which makes things even easier. Red wigglers/Eisenia sp. (often sold as "trout worms") may be the only worm you may run into trouble with as they have a foul odor but even these can be accepted with time.

Cheshiresbreak

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions! Have either of you ever had any problems with worms that are store bought? Our biggest concern was buying worms from unknown conditions that could bring in disease.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!