Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What is your favorite starter salamander or newt?

What is your favorite starter salamander or frog

• Total voters

sde

Reaction score
Axolotls and Ribbed newts are undoubtedly the two best beginner newts, because they are both; easy to care for, readily available, cheap, always CB etc..

Rupert

Reaction score
I doubt mudpuppies will be anything remotely close to a beginner salamander as:

a) requires very cool waters
b) requires huge enclosure
c) very difficult to breed, which means they are mostly if not all WC

Daimler

Reaction score
ribbed newt (pleurodeles waltl) is the best, easier and indestructible.
can resist the 30C in water for short period of time.

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
I like Taricha, eat everything, can be kept terrestrial, and don't grow too big. Plus, they don't eat members their own size, they don't attack normal sized newts

sde

Reaction score
I like Taricha, eat everything, can be kept terrestrial, and don't grow too big. Plus, they don't eat members their own size, they don't attack normal sized newts

Taricha grow larger than most newts, they are one of the biggest genus :p
Also females need to have a aquatic period to expel eggs if necessary. I just don't feel they are a good beginner newt because they aren't available CB very often, and obviously we don't want them buying WC newts.

Daimler

Reaction score
Taricha has Tetrodotoxin.... better a cynops than a taricha and not only for newbie ;)

TatoTesla

Reaction score
Taricha grow larger than most newts, they are one of the biggest genus :p

Also females need to have a aquatic period to expel eggs if necessary. I just don't feel they are a good beginner newt because they aren't available CB very often, and obviously we don't want them buying WC newts.

I agree.. They get fairly large and can be difficult to maintain at times. I wouldn't recommend Tarichas as a starter. And like Seth said, it's super difficult to find CB.

I think axolotls are really good because they're available everywhere and are pretty hardy. Tigers are very hardy as well but most are WC. But axies are probably the best IMO.

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
Taricha are easy for me. I also like efts, my favorite kind of tank is terrestrial, and I'm good at supplying small live foods. I guess Taricha aren't for everyone though, but unlike axolotls and tigers, you can keep them in groups, they don't typically harass each other except for breeding season

Daimler

Reaction score
Its possible add axolotl and cynops to the "starter salamander or newt" poll?

andiskimo

Reaction score
I would add Alpine Newts to the list. I think Alpines, and many Cynops, are just as easy as Taricha. Taricha are awesome, but they're one of the most toxic animals on earth (do you have little kids or dogs?). Bottom line, though, is it's probably easier to maintain a terrestrial species, since you don't have to worry about maintaining water quality....and both Tiger Salamanders and Fire Salamanders will eat worms from a tweezer. If you want to learn about nitrogen cycling, cooling fans, and how to maintain a planted tank... well then the newt world is your oyster.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!