Photo: Is he fat, or am I crazy?

FreckledLottles

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, I put my little guy (almost 2 years old) on a diet of 2 nightcrawlers/week a few months ago because I thought he was getting a bit chunky. I can tell he's slimmed down, but a friend of mine, and one of the guys at my local aquarium store, said that they thought he was really fat.

Basically: Should I only feed him once/week now, or is he a healthy size?

Attachments

• 20190318_202112.jpg
    20190318_202112.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 179
  • 20190313_225807.jpg
    20190313_225807.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 146
Try and get a shot of it over head. It looks fine to me. You want the belly to be as wide as the head. I feed my adults every day but they're all different so feed according to body condition. After seeing an overhead pic I'll let you know what I think :)

This is the best picture I could get. He was not in the mood to pose today. Is this sufficient enough? If not, I could try to grab and position him, but I don't want to stress him too much.

Thank you so much for helping me, by the way!

Attachments

• 20190319_213319.jpg
    20190319_213319.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 143
I think he looks fine. His body should be about the same width as his head.

He's a nice looking lotl!

Yep looks fine. Mine only get that chunky when I feed them every day haha

Thank you both! He's my little baby and I want to do everything right for him, so I was really worried!

He looks like a she to me, and females normally are a bit rounder than males.

He looks like a she to me, and females normally are a bit rounder than males.

I was thinking the same. An undershot pic of the cloaca can confirm this for us :)

This is from a few months ago, but it's the best picture I have. I'm pretty sure he's a boy, but if you guys think otherwise, let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_6001.JPG
    IMG_6001.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 137
I would expect a bigger bulge on a 2 year old male, so I think yours is female.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back