Newt Identification

C

curious

hi,
i was at the pet store today, and i saw a large newt with an annulated tail. i have looked at a lot of photos, and i can't find one like it. it looked like a warty newt of some sort. it was about 6 inches, semi rough skin, orange belly. but the tail was cylindrical and annulated like an earthworm. the people there were way too busy to help me, so i don't know what they were selling it as.
thanx

No idea - sounds pretty weird.

How about giving them a phone call today? Even a wrong name might help to steer us in the right direction...

honesty, i don't think they would have a clue because they sell p. honkongensis and p. chinensis as p. pyrrhogaster. if they don't know the difference between those species, i don't think they would know what sort of newt this one is. but i am going to be in that area today, so i may stop in and ask them what they are selling it as.
thanks

could be taricha granulosa-i've seen some with cylindrical tails in shops

~Aaron

hi,
the pet store didn't know what it was either, but i have narrowed it down to either a female triturus cristatus, or a male out of breeding colors. i think what threw me was the size of this newt - it was huge!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back