Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Successful breeding of Ambystoma opacum.

mrthomasjohansson

Reaction score
Hi there!

I congratulate you to a very good solution to breeding this species. I am really happy to see the pictures!

How did the process go, with raising the hatchlings etc., after they had laid the eggs? I know that this species are quite protective.

I am looking forward to hear more about this very interesting subject. Congratulations!!!

Sincerely,
Thomas Johansson

josh1990

Reaction score
I wonder if the mud from the vernal pool had anything to trigger the breeding?
What ever it was, it is a great achievment and makes me want to work harder to breed mine!
Good luck with raising the larva, I am sure you will not have any problems.

Melmo

Reaction score
Congrats! I've heard of this whole low bowl and the simulation of seasons from previous breeding efforts, but I am extremely giddy to see one person being successful in Opacum breeding. Good luck on the eggs and larvae!

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I'll be hatching some out after Thanksgiving, I'll keep you all posted on their progress in my usual rambling fashion. (That gives my daphnia cultures a bit more time to stabilize)

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Just hatched out a batch of eggs from Justin successfully. I'll start a new thread with pictures and video of these little guys similar to the C. e. popei thread I have later this week.

Twenty minutes between adding water to having free swimming larvae!

ed_moyer

Reaction score
I have had the luck to be intrusted by Justin to raise some of his cb.opacum larva! I've raised many over last 30+ years, but none have came even close to the size (3") at morphing! They were raised like I raise all my newts and sals. larva in a 10gal.pond tank, that was started back in October! They were not pampered, only the strong survive! Out of the dozen that Justin sent I still have all 12, Hopefully the morphing goes a smooth! Great job, Justin Keep it up!!!

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Here is what they look like today. As you can see they aren't too close to morphing nor are they coloring up any.
SANY0552.jpg

crotusia

Reaction score
Wow, awesome... I am a big fan of A. opacum but I am somewhat ashamed to admit that, back when I was less experienced in how to keep salamanders properly, I actually thought that they were, um, difficult to care for. Now that I know more about providing moist but well-drained substrates, easily-exit shallow water bowls, hide spots and cool temps, the problem is the opposite -- I have to be careful that my salamanders don't eat too much and become obese! I never really dreamed, however, that they could be bred in captivity, especially indoors. Nice work!

P.S. Can you give me some tips on how to upload and attach pictures???? :D

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Here they are at about 2 months post morph.
IMGP3212.jpg

IMGP3214.jpg

They morphed out at a little over half the size of an adult! In this picture you can see an adult female in the background.
IMGP3215.jpg

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Very nice Justin - well done.

Viv

Reaction score
hey justin. I have only one morphed salamander and i am have trouble feeding the sal. I am offering the sal tiny crickets,tiny rollypollys and some small ants, do you have any suggestions?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!