Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie Owner

ADelaney

Reaction score
Hi! I recently took in an axolotl from a friend who couldn't properly care for her. She is a female leucistic axolotl whom I have renamed Nixie (little water sprite). She is about 2 years old and 6 inches. She wasn't treated great and barely had enough room to turn around. She also lived with a male melanoid who passed away before I could get them. She has a wonderful personality and always looks ready to jump out of her tank and kill be in my sleep whenever I come near her (she's not aggressive at all she just has a serious RBF). I am working on setting up a 29 gallon tank for her and eventually getting her a female friend sometime in the future. I've always wanted a black melanoid so hopefully one day that happens! Nixie's favorite activity is getting me fusterated by not eating until I shove the chopped up peices of nightcrawler infront of her face only to then spit it out, to which I give up and she goes back to eating happily. Her least favorite thing is water changes and damn if axolotls could talk she would tell me how much she hates me for doing them. She does seek comfort in her plants when I do start water changes though. Have a lovely day!

~Alyssa & Nixie

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Axxie Owner

Hi, welcome to the site. :)
As they get older most Axolotls or aquatic newts will just take water changes as a part of normal, day to day life. I always offer a little of their favourite food straight afterwards, so they tend to get exited and inquisitive when the buckets and siphoning hose appear in front of their tank. :)

Attachments

• siphon tylo.jpg
    siphon tylo.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 212
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!