Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Marble Salamanders

R

rebecca

What other salamanders can you keep with them?? I know most people think you can't keep anything other then the same species in one tank but I have done it for years with no problems. I take into account that they have the same needs, as well as their toxic levels, and if they enjoy water/land, water, or just land. I would just like some ideas from people who have had these salamanders as well as other salamanders. Thanks!!

N

nate

No, most people know you can keep things together without them dying outright, they just don't feel it's necessarily a good thing to do. Not dead/still eating does not necessarily equal good care/no problems. Ambystoma adults are not community animals like tropical fish, they are solitary animals. If you're keen on doing whatever you feel like with your salamanders, then mix away...though I suggest only trying to mix them with other similarly sized Ambystoma which they actually share a natural range with (A. jeffersonianum, A. mabeei, A. talpoideum, and A. texanum). But if you truly wanted to make your marbled sal as comfortable as possible, nature has provided a perfect model for what marbleds prefer most...a solitary existence broken only by a brief mating period with other marbleds.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!