Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Brine shrimp hatchery. Hatching and harvesting info too!

scuwiffpixi

Reaction score
The best how to video on brine shrimp hatchery's!

I found this on you tube and tried the build myself and the results were amazing!

So simple and cheap to make too, I have literally just harvested my newly hatched shrimp and from a 1/2 tea spoon of eggs (I got on eBay) I have enough shrimps to feed my 20 red spotted newt larvae for a whole week!! There was tonnes of them!

I did rinse the shrimps first before feeding the larvae using bottled water,an old wax worm tub, an old ice cream tub, a turkey baster and some nylon curtain.

There is lots of important info in the vid like how much salt to water, what kind of salt, the best eggs to get, what you should look for once hatched and how to harvest them easily!

I have several cultures on the go: wax worms (for my gecko), lesser wax worms, white worms, daphnia and tubifex worms for all my newts and although some are very easy and very prolific, none are small enough and quick enough to reproduce for my teeny larvae than theses brine shrimp. :proud:

I just felt like I should share this video with all of you, I hope it helps to feed all those tiddler tads out there!!

Absolutely Brilliant! thanks again Jazzy!:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uNkHPuGaqo

rebel

Reaction score
Amazing, how long would a teaspoon of eggs live for before you have to restart again? and is there any way to keep them alive for longer other then the air pump?
Thanks

:violent:rebel:violent:

scuwiffpixi

Reaction score
As far as I've read (I'm quite new to this feeder too) you can keep them in the fridge for about a week. :cool:

I would probably transfer the newly hatched shrimpies to some fresh salty water, the same amount of salt to water that they were hatched in, then I would decant them in to "daily meal" tubs/bottles and when I wanna feed them to my larvae I get out a daily meal tub and give them a rince to get rid of the salt and feed away!

Put the rest in the fridge!

This way you can divie out a weeks worth of portions and gauge when you need to set the hatchery off again with out running out of food.

I think if you want larger brine shrimps they can be grown to full size (5mm or so) but I'm not sure if its as easy as hatching them?:confused:

To grow them to full size they will need a clean tank of salt water and an air stream much like the way they are hatched but they will need feeding too, green water (phytoplanktons)is one option but if you Google brine shrimp food u will get other recipies for food for them. They take around 6+ weeks to mature too.

:happy:

rebel

Reaction score
Thank you for your help
Hopefully soon ill be able to set up my own hatchery:happy:

:violent:rebel:violent:

Careyt79

Reaction score
This is fab :eek: I am definately going to have a go at doing this!

scuwiffpixi

Reaction score
The hatchery works brilliantly so far, but I'm defiantly having trouble with putting the rest in the fridge.

I put them in new salt water into clean containers (with lids and air space) but every time I go to get them out the next day they are all gonners???:confused:

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but if any one has any advice or ideas for me that would be most appreciated as I don't wanna waste so many brine shrimps?:(

And the hatchery is pretty much running all the time (apart form the washes in between batches)

yellowpebble

Reaction score
I've always wondered about putting them in the firdge too... I would have thought the lack of aeration would have killed them. Maybe you could try shaking their container around a bit.

The shrimp last up to 3 days in the hatchery but they STINK after 1 or 2. The best way is to only hatch as mutch as you need. This would be enough for hundreds so you could half or quarter it depending on the number of larvae and you wont have any need to store the left overs :D just make sure you have a fresh supply always

xxianxx

Reaction score
Ive had the same problem keeping my shrimp alive in the fridge, after three days i throw them out because they start to smell. Does anyone know how i can prevent this?

scuwiffpixi

Reaction score
I still havnt found a way to keep them alive in the fridge?? so.......

I ended up just making a new extra hatchery and quartering the amount of eggs I put in to hatch, so I had a hatchery always running for a constant supply of shrimps.

Now the larvae are much bigger and taking bigger foods such as tubifex, adult brine shrimp and bloodworm's so the hatchery's are no longer being used, I have found my local pet shop sells a great selection of live foods for my newty's! :D

So I get their food from there now, It is a bit more expencive but the selection is so good that I can't complain for the money. :wacko:

Baxs893

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but maybe someone has some new tips. I only have one aeration pump. So would it be best to hatch one batch. Then let them sit at room temp for maybe 2 days while im hatching another batch? or should i give them aeration every once in awhile to keep them going? thanks

xxianxx

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but maybe someone has some new tips. I only have one aeration pump. So would it be best to hatch one batch. Then let them sit at room temp for maybe 2 days while im hatching another batch? or should i give them aeration every once in awhile to keep them going? thanks

Spilt the airline to run two hatcheries, you can have fresh ones daily then, bbs lose much of their nutritional value within 24 hours of hatching. If you want to keep them alive you can use very small amounts of activated yeast.

Baxs893

Reaction score
anyone have any idea how to raise brine shrimp into the mature stage? My axels are getting larger and im wanting to feed the larger brine shrimps

KevinMarshall

Reaction score
Hi It can be done but in reality it would probably be not cost effective. also there are alternatives to brine shrimp that you can use. Possibly not the exact answer you are looking for. But if your determined give it a go. You could use a little yeast suspension to feed them on but my best bet would be to use some of the marine algaes and supplements marine aquarists use for their reef set ups.

regards

Kevin

MarkD

Reaction score
I put mine that I recently hatched in a seperate tupperware bin with an airstone. My Hongkong warty newts laid eggs so I'll be feeding the brine shrimp to the larvae when they hatch. Do you need heat on the newly hatched brine shrimp? Will feeding them Selcon only keep them alive???

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1